No ufer, only ground rods

Brownetown

Occupation
Electrican
home owner ripped out Ufer competently digging his trench for his well. I also already had 2 ground rods along with the Ufer. Passed inspection waiting of poco to do there end. My question is with the ufer beging gone will my 2 ground rods be sufficient?

Brownetown

Occupation
Electrican
Yes, he was digging the trench, must of ripped it with the excavator. Anyways. I already have the rods installed , I’m just curious if that’s enough considering water will in coming in pvc.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Yes, it’s “enough”, considering ground rods have limited useful on a good day.

But, depending on what code cycle you’re on, they are required in new construction. The code does not address destroying them afterwards, so if you’ve already gotten rough inspection, you might be OK, unless the inspector sees it.

If you haven’t gotten rough inspection, well, cowboy, you’re prolly ridin’ for a fall.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see how digging a trench could remove an entire CEE within a footing, a ground ring maybe. Regardless if the CEE is no longer an electrode then two ground rods are sufficient to make up the GES.

Brownetown

Occupation
Electrican
I have no idea. I just got a call from him saying he broke it and the piece is now missing coming from the footer. It already passed and I added 2 grounds rods on top. Even though I only need the one coming from a concrete enclosure.

Yeah I know it’s his financial responsibility for what ever needs to be done, I just didn’t want to have to race and stress over something that doesn’t need to be done considering my ground rods didn’t get ripped up

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I guess you're saying that the conductor emerging from the footing to connect the CEE/UFER got ripped off. (The actual CEE must presumeably still be in the footing.) 250.50 does contain an exception to the otherwise required usage of the CEE for an existing building, if it is 'not accessible for use without disturbing the concrete'. As long as your AHJ agrees that is the situation then only having two rods is acceptable per the NEC.