nob and tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all, question for ya and a quick response would be great. cant find it in the code but here is the situation, old house some nob and tube left two upstairs bed rooms no receps and no light switch just a pull chain fixture on ceiling can I mount a wire mold round box on ceiling and come out two sides down the wall to a box and set a recep. question is can I tie romex or thhn wire to nob and tube? and if so what type of recep to use typing up bid now so time is limited thanks alot

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Article 394 is for Knob and Tube. Here are some other articles that may be of interest. You will need to use a GFCI TR receptacle and mark it with the labels provided in the box-- No equipment ground

300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings ? Where Required.
A box shall be installed at each outlet and switch point for concealed knob-and-tube wiring.

300.16 Raceway or Cable to Open or Concealed Wiring.
(A) Box, Conduit Body, or Fitting. A box, conduit body, or terminal fitting having a separately bushed hole for each conductor shall be used wherever a change is made from conduit, electrical metallic tubing, electrical nonmetallic tubing, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, or mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable and surface raceway wiring to open wiring or to concealed knob-and-tube wiring. A fitting used for this purpose shall contain no taps or splices and shall not be used at luminaire outlets. A conduit body used for this purpose shall contain no taps or splices, unless it complies with 314.16(C)(2).

314.3 Nonmetallic Boxes.
Nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted only with open wiring on insulators, concealed knob-and-tube wiring, cabled wiring methods with entirely nonmetallic sheaths, flexible cords, and nonmetallic raceways.
Exception No. 1: Where internal bonding means are provided between all entries, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.
Exception No. 2: Where integral bonding means with a provision for attaching an equipment bonding jumper inside the box are provided between all threaded entries in nonmetallic boxes listed for the purpose, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
If you are on the 08 code, I believe you must protect by AFCI also if extending an existing circuit. Now you buy an AFCI breaker and a GFCI TR receptacle

Code reference please? I don't believe you need AFCI protection if extending an existing circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.