Non fuse line side tap feeding thru load side of switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I line side tap of 500 amps into a 800 amp switch gear. My situation is running my tap conductors. I have to run thru lower part of switch gear ,which crosses up with load side conductors.
AHJ is telling me I cannot use that wire way to feed in same section to get to my taps.
He is correct that wires will be in same raceway.
Utility company will not let us use there pull section.
Any suggestions?
Thank You in advance

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I line side tap of 500 amps into a 800 amp switch gear. My situation is running my tap conductors. I have to run thru lower part of switch gear ,which crosses up with load side conductors.
AHJ is telling me I cannot use that wire way to feed in same section to get to my taps.
He is correct that wires will be in same raceway.
Utility company will not let us use there pull section.
Any suggestions?
Thank You in advance
If it is in the gear itself, such as a bottom, section-to-section gutter (built-in, not added), it is not a violation. If run in a wireway or auxiliary gutter separate from the gear, that would be a violation.

Got pictures?

If it is in the gear itself, such as a bottom, section-to-section gutter (built-in, not added), it is not a violation. If run in a wireway or auxiliary gutter separate from the gear, that would be a violation.

Got pictures?
I will get some photos
Existing switch gear has pull section on left hand side,meter main and distribution in center and a 12" wire way.
Most load wire coming out of pull section wire way.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
When I was first getting into solar working as a junior level installer I had the privilege of witnessing an inspection where exactly this type of issue arose. From what I know of it, the manufacturer was contacted and did not give their blessing for the line side conductors being in the load side section. So the solution was to have a UL rep come out and field list the installation. In that case the UL rep wanted us to put the line-side conductors into a liquidtight sleeve, which was supported inside the switch gear with fiberglass strut channel. The UL rep personally supervised our installation, and when the inspector showed up he pretty much asked the UL rep 'You approve?' and the UL rep said yes and that was that.

From the first failed inspection the whole thing took months and I understand UL's fee was pretty steep. Hopefully you don't have to resort to such measures and can route your conductors differently (either line or load) at less expense. But I figure the experience is worth sharing.

When I was first getting into solar working as a junior level installer I had the privilege of witnessing an inspection where exactly this type of issue arose. From what I know of it, the manufacturer was contacted and did not give their blessing for the line side conductors being in the load side section. So the solution was to have a UL rep come out and field list the installation. In that case the UL rep wanted us to put the line-side conductors into a liquidtight sleeve, which was supported inside the switch gear with fiberglass strut channel. The UL rep personally supervised our installation, and when the inspector showed up he pretty much asked the UL rep 'You approve?' and the UL rep said yes and that was that.

From the first failed inspection the whole thing took months and I understand UL's fee was pretty steep. Hopefully you don't have to resort to such measures and can route your conductors differently (either line or load) at less expense. But I figure the experience is worth sharing.

Thanks for the info. I have done over a hundred of these and never ran across this problem.
I believe it will be easier to put new gear in. Talked owner into service change.
We also use UL on every line side tap.
Pretty costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.