Non fused disc and NEC 110.26

82angelfan

1724258198880.png 1724258240154.png

Hello,

I have a 30 amp non-fused disconnect that is 39" opposite some water pipes. the Electrical engineer is calling us on condition 2 of 110-26 (A) 1. Clearance should be 42". The equipment it is feeding is a water take pump control cabinet has a door and it's own disconnect switch. My Area GF is telling me that a non-fused disco is just a switch since there are no fuses, no need for testing, examining, adjusting, and it is only a means of disconnect in the event of replacing the control cabinet. In addition, when the switch is in the off position, there are no live exposed parts. He tells me they have argued this exact case on Los Angeles Unified School District projects, which are the one of the strictest construction codes, second only to California OSHPD/HCAI, which is where I am.

Has anyone else encountered and conquered this?

It will be a lot of work to relocate on switch. My next move is to suggest covering the plumbing or installing an enclosed motor rated switch.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
At 39" I would pass it but it's not the required 42". Can the metal part that is within the 39" be insulated that it is not considered to be grounded?

82angelfan

In my opinion it needs a 110.26(A) working clearance as it is likely to be examined while energized for trouble shooting purposes.
You cannot opened it while in on position. In off position there are no exposed live parts. This type of switch is nothing more than a large toggle switch. This whole thing is a big judgement call. I may RFI eliminating the disconnect and replacing it with a Motor Rated 3 pole switch, or a pull box and the disconnect in the controller cabinet as the means of disconnect.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You cannot opened it while in on position. In off position there are no exposed live parts. This type of switch is nothing more than a large toggle switch. This whole thing is a big judgement call. I may RFI eliminating the disconnect and replacing it with a Motor Rated 3 pole switch, or a pull box and the disconnect in the controller cabinet as the means of disconnect.
It still gets a red tag from me.
What is in the raintight enclosure.

82angelfan

I was asking about the 3R enclosure below the disconnect.
Sorry about this late answer. It is a Low Voltage pull box with 2 cat5e cables in it. It's actually to the left of the disco. We have decided to roll the dice and turn the box 90 degrees. It is less than 20 pounds so per spec should not require a detail although the inspector will try to insist.

Considering Condition 2 states 1.0 meter (3'6" which is 42"), and 1 meter is 39.37 inches, I would take a metric tape measure and prove you have 1 meter of clearance. If the code wants to use the metric system so bad, they might as well learn how to convert.

ETA: If you need that extra 3/8 of an inch, swap the deep strut with shallow strut and that will give it to you.

82angelfan

Considering Condition 2 states 1.0 meter (3'6" which is 42"), and 1 meter is 39.37 inches, I would take a metric tape measure and prove you have 1 meter of clearance. If the code wants to use the metric system so bad, they might as well learn how to convert.

ETA: If you need that extra 3/8 of an inch, swap the deep strut with shallow strut and that will give it to you.
brilliant