Non-NRTL Equipment Installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mc

I work at government site which references NFPA 70/NEC for the installation of new equipment and systems. My work is primarily applied electrical/instrumentation R&D. I also participate on our electrical safety review team. Our site requirement is to install UL or equivalent listed equipment when possible. However a large part my work involves designing systems with non-NRTL, custom equipment.

When this non-listed equipment becomes part of an operating facility, like a hard wired European vacuum pump or a cord and plug specialty microscope does it fall under the purview of the NEC? Does our site AHJ have to review and approve all non-NRTL installations and equipment as stated in section 110.2 (>1000 a year)? Also it is not clear that laboratory equipment like scales, meters, data acquisition hardware etc. falls under NEC requirements for inspection once it becomes part of a facility.

muskiedog

This might help. This is the OSHA standard on this.

This might help. This is the OSHA standard on this.

29 CFR 1910.7.

I think once it become part of a facility operation it would have to meet some type of inspection process.

renosteinke

Non-NRTL Equipment Installations

The preface to the NEC states plainly that it is NOT a design standard or instruction manual. Like a dictionary, or other reference work, it requires a certain basic competency in the subject to be used properly.

Likewise, any "testing lab" is lmited it what it can test, and what standards it may apply. Look closely, and you'll be astounded at what markets are essentially untouched by UL, or other testing labs.

Even so, a "safe" appliance" can be installed in a code compliant manner, and still create a dangerous situation. Ever trip over a cord?
It is also quite possible to encounter a situation where you are required to violate the letter of the code, in order to accomodate some unique situation.

I'm not sure what the issue is here, other than a desire for a "sticker" to lean on. At some point, judgement comes into the picture; not everything can be spelled out.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I do not believe a plug and cord connected piece of portable equipment is ever really an installation, so does not fall under NEC rules.

You still have to meet OSHA requirements regardless.

I am not convinced any piece of equipment itself falls under NEC rules. The electrical installation of the equipment does, but not the equipment itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.