Non rated test equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I had a discussion today with another contractor during which this question came up:

If you require your employees to provide their own test equipment (ex. within the definition of hand tools) and they bring in some cheap Harbor Freight, Craftsman or old meter with no CAT III or IV rating and there's an incident, who is liable - the employee or employer?

Any thoughts?

zog

I had a discussion today with another contractor during which this question came up:

If you require your employees to provide their own test equipment (ex. within the definition of hand tools) and they bring in some cheap Harbor Freight, Craftsman or old meter with no CAT III or IV rating and there's an incident, who is liable - the employee or employer?

Any thoughts?

An excellent question, I don't have a clear answer but I do have a solution. The employer should be paying to calibrate all the test equipment annually, that not only ensures your employees are getting accurate readings, it also lets you look at thier equipment to be sure it meets the minimum requirements. Don't calibrate something that is not rated for the rquipment they work on.

iwire

Staff member

Any thoughts?

Employer, it is always the employer.

Why do I say that? Because as far as I know the only group likely to be enforcing this is OSHA and they go after the employers.

It is for this reason the company I work for does not allow us to provide our own PPE.

PetrosA

Interesting points. I also believe it's in the best interest of the contractor to supply his people with decent test equipment, not only for liability, but to maintain a decent standard as well. Sadly, I think a lot of owners see it as too large an expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.