Non tray rated cables in Cable tray

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Construction installed many thousands of feet of multi conductor cable in cable tray that is not CT Tray Rated. They’re telling me it doesn’t matter since the tray is installed indoors and not exposed to UV rays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
392.10(A) lists the wiring methods and cables that allowed to be used in cable tray.
Can you advise what was installed ?

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
392.10(A) lists the wiring methods and cables that allowed to be used in cable tray.
Can you advise what was installed ?

It’s foreign made control cable from Poland I believe
It’s a multi conductor with PVC jacketing and AWM copper standing. UL recognized

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It’s foreign made control cable from Poland I believe
It’s a multi conductor with PVC jacketing and AWM copper standing. UL recognized

AWM has nothing to do with stranding. It is the type of insulation. And it is not listed by UL, only recognized, so can only be used in a listed assembly, not for general use.

Having said that, AWM is often also listed as other types of insulation. I would want to see a picture of the jacket and see how it is marked before I would condemn the use of this cable.

It's also possible that it is a cable made up of of individual AWM conductors, but normally such conductors would also be marked MTW.

We need to find out what the marking on the cable jacket actually says