none paying general contractors protection??

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie tuna

i know this is a no-no!! but there must be some method -legally - to expose these people. after reading a trade magazine article ten years ago, i dicided to try to get away from them -- it worked out good for me. but every once in a while i venture back and have some dealings with them that always ends up in a hasle!!! in south florida it seems as though they are all the same, don't care about the sub contractors and have a list of excuses for late paying their bills!!!
is it the same in other areas? i just finished a cable (data-phone) installation where this big corporation directed me to run the work through a particular general contractor. i was against it - but figured i'd be o.k. since i do alot of work directly for this corporation and never had a payment problem. this g.c. called with the figures and doesn't even know what i'm doing or where the job is. i really think he 's making more profit on this job than i am?? and know i'm getting the typical run around that he hasen't gotten payed - well they always payed me on time?
now i ask - did he get payed? or did he invoice on time? i sure wish there was a way to expose other electrical contractors to stay clear of this outfit and others like them. or maybe someone could have warned me about him if we had a system... just a thought! thanks charlie :mad:

bphgravity

Re: none paying general contractors protection??

So far, I have been lucky. Knock on wood! :) However, I have had payment issues with certain clients from time to time with excusses that never seem to be my problem. I think local contractor associations and forums like this can be a way to inform fellow contractors and electricians alike of any type of issue that is concerning our industry. I have stayed out of new construction for the very reasons you now describe. General contractors play on both sides of the table in my experiences. (Not all) "Payment due upon completion" is my favorite moto. Good luck! :(

wolfman56

I've often thought that a radio operated disconnect, hidden somewhere on the premises, would be just the ticket. Imagine, running a couple of home runs through this disconnect. If you don't get paid, you simply drive by, press a button and they are in the dark. How can anyone expect you to do a warrenty call back if you haven't been paid? Did you know that many alarm companys do this thru the phone lines?

renosteinke

I often have to prepare prints, and as the EC, I have to call for inspection. Lack of payments being current translates into they don't get the prints, and final inspection isn't called for.

Status
Not open for further replies.