Nonhazardous ansthetizing locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbb

Does 517.63(b) prohibit receptacles supplied from a grounded service in an other-than-hazardous anesthetizing location? I am unsure of the use of the word "normal" in the last sentence of this section.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Nonhazardous ansthetizing locations

I think they mean "normal" in the sense of "not an isolated ground system," and that they do not mean "normal" as opposed to "emergency." My view is that it does not prohibit what you are describing.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Rbb, where are you at that there is still flammable anesthesia being used, I think this is pretty much narrowed down to third world countries now.

Charlie is right, read "normal grounded service" verses "Normal System"

Roger

rbb

Roger:

I described the location as "other-than-hazardous."

Section 517-63(b) provides the following:

"Branch circuits supplying only listed, fixed, therapeutic and diagnostic equipment, permanently installed above the hazardous location and in other-than-hazardous locations, shall be permitted to be supplied from a normal grounded service, single or three-phase system provided the following:"

This appears to be a permissive rule that allows specific types of fixed, listed equipment to be supplied from a grounded service anywhere in an other-than-hazardous anesthetizing location.

Does this mean that portable equipment is not permitted to be supplied from a grounded service? I can't find any specific prohibition against this. So what is purpose of this permissive rule?

[ September 21, 2005, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: rbb ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Rbb, where are you at that there is still flammable anesthesia being used, I think this is pretty much narrowed down to third world countries now.
I think it's amazing that one of the so called cases of "spontaneous human combustion" includes a person they were operating on back in the days of flammable anestheia. It's not nearly as bizzarre when you realize the person's lungs and stomach were full of flammable gas. They kind of leave that part out when telling the story.

Steve

rbb

Steve:

I used to post a lot on the old forum. Are you Vermont Steve?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Nope. I didn't know about this web site until after the new forum came about.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.