Nonincendive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

In the NEC definitions and in Article 500 definitions, the word 'nonincendive' is used to designate wiring, equipment, and circuits that won't ignite or combust. The question I have, is where did that word come from? Is it derived form 'incendiary' or maybe "incinerate'? Not really important, but I don't think that is a "real" word.

Len_B

Re: Nonincendive?

bph, could find no entry for incendive or nonincendive, only for:

incendiary
Pronunciation: in-'sen-dE-"er-E; -'sen-d&-rE, -dy&-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ar?ies
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin incendiarius, from incendium conflagration, from incendere
Date: 15th century
1--a : a person who deliberately sets fire to a building or other property
---b : an incendiary agent (as a bomb)
2 : a person who excites factions, quarrels, or sedition

gardiner

I can't find references for it in any dictionary I know of, but did come across and article talking about incendivity (couldn't find a dictionary meaning to it either). It is not uncommon for new words to arise but they should not be listed in a document such as the NEC until there is a dictionary meaning to it. How can you get a legal intruptation of the meaning of something if a problem comes up? Just because the NEC says it means one thing does not mean it just means that, so it is now open for missinterputation as any good lawyer would point out.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I found 35 hits for the word "nonincendive" in the NEC. A Google search produced 1900 hits. I conclude that the word is common enough, even if it doesn’t commonly appear in dinner table conversations. World Book Encyclopedia’s on-line dictionary has the following related definition:
in|cen|dive ?ihn SEHN dihv?, adjective. capable of setting fire; incendiary.

Status
Not open for further replies.