NOS + never unboxed AFCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
In my quest to start cleaning out the garage ( AKA the shop), I found a bunch of Eaton/ Cutler Hammer CH115 AF and CH120AF breakers. Near as I can tell from the copyright on the packaging, they are about 20 years old.

The question is, would there be any liability issue using these for an install (let us "ignore" an AHJ, questioning that there are newer types available).

Again these breakers are either in original boxes, or the clamshell packaging.

Any thoughts????

Howard

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The original type of AFCI was a Branch Circuit type, this was changed to current type in 05 or 08 NEC (if I have my terminology right). So your NOS not be allowed under the correct code.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Those kind can be used but you need an afci device at the first outlet which doesn't get you very far. They also were big fat breakers I wouldn't use them other than to show people what they used to look like.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would recycle/e-waste them. Besides not meeting the NEC since 2008(?) they have very old firmware on them. The manufactures are constantly updating the firmware which helps eliminate the "false" trips.

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Thank you all for the replies! :) Since the consensus of opinion is that they may 1 nuisance trip, or 2 not trip properly under a fault (leaving me open to liability), I am going to e-cycle them ( as much as it pains me).

Again thank you guys for the input

Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.