Not again ! Inspector fails our job with ungrounded GFCI outlets !

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Another electrical inspector failed our job because his hand held tester doesn't trip our gfci outlets when installed in an old house with no grounds. I'll have to show him 406.3 (D) that allows this replacement and then show him a tester mfr statement that it cannot properly test this. (I carry a GB brand tester spec sheet.) My question: is there a brand or type hand held tester that CAN test these outlets ?? Thank you !

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Another electrical inspector failed our job because his hand held tester doesn't trip our gfci outlets when installed in an old house with no grounds. I'll have to show him 406.3 (D) that allows this replacement and then show him a tester mfr statement that it cannot properly test this. (I carry a GB brand tester spec sheet.) My question: is there a brand or type hand held tester that CAN test these outlets ?? Thank you !
According to the manufacturer the only way to test a gfci is to use the test button.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Here's what Ideal says about their GFCI tester and all manufacturers have similar wording.

#61-500 #61-501 Receptacle Tester (61-500) Receptacle Tester w/GFCI (61-501) Operating Instructions Warning: Always test on a known live circuit before use to ensure proper operation. Wiring Configuration Testing (61-500, 61-501) Tests for correct wiring, open ground, reverse polarity, open hot, open neutral and hot/ground reversed. 1. Plug tester into receptacle under test. 2. Verify proper wiring configuration by noting the bulbs lit on the tester. 3. Compare the bulbs lit to the legend on the product label to determine the wire condition. 4. If a miswired condition is found, stop any further testing and consult a qualified electrician to rectify the problem. GFCI Testing (61-501) 1. Consult the GFCI device manufacturer’s instructions to determine that the GFCI is installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications. 2. Check for correct wiring of the receptacle and all remotely connected receptacles on the branch circuit. 3. Operate the test button on the GFCI installed in the circuit. The test light will turn on, indicating the activation of the GFCI test. The GFCI must trip. If the GFCI does not trip, consult a qualified electrician. If it does trip, reset the GFCI. Then, insert the GFCI tester into the receptacle to be tested. 4. Activate the test button on the GFCI tester for a minimum of 6 seconds when testing the GFCI condition. Visible indication on the GFCI tester must cease when tripped. 5. If the tester fails to trip the GFCI, it suggests: (a) a wiring problem with a totally operable GFCI, or (b) proper wiring with a faulty GFCI. Consult with an electrician to check the condition of the wiring and the GFCI. CAUTION: When testing GFCIs installed in 2-wire systems (no ground wire available), the tester may give a false indication that the GFCI is not functioning properly. If this occurs, recheck the operation of the GFCI using the test and reset buttons. The GFCI button test function will demonstrate proper operation.

Tell the inspector he needs to learn how to use his tools.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Explain to the inspector how these testers work. They send a small amount of current to the EGC to mimic a ground fault. Since the circuit has no EGC, the tester will not work. The test button on the GFCI receptacle sends a small amount of current to the neutral that is across a shunt. This will trip the GFCI. It does not use the EGC for the test.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think you mean 406.4(D). Did you put the required "No Equipment Ground" label on the receptacles?

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
yes,
I think you mean 406.4(D). Did you put the required "No Equipment Ground" label on the receptacles?
Yes, thank you. Yes, today I labeled every outlet, which I had forgotten to do before inspection, (he didn't say anything about that). I called him today and he was asking me how our job met code with his tester not tripping. I tried to explain and told him I will meet him tomorrow and show the NEC etc. He said he couldn't understand this. Then I got a call from the customer saying the inspector called him apologizing for failing the flip house and he said he now sees that what "Steve " had done meets code. He was apologizing because he was apparently quite nasty with the carpenter who was working there about this and some other items. I couldn't be there yesterday, unfortunately. I assume he researched or asked another local inspector. :) I will still meet him tomorrow.