Not an instruction manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Not an instruction manual

The contract documents, ie prints and specs. ;)

Roger

[ June 03, 2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

charlie

Instruction manuals are . . . HMMM. A lot of people are making a living writing and selling instruction manuals (books). Our host, Mike Holt plus Ray Mullin, **** Loyd, IEEE, NECA, etc. (the list is very long) are all writing instruction, training, and design manuals and standards. These materials are used in apprenticeship classes, for exam preparation, for furthering your own knowledge base, for reference, for help with design work, etc.

bennie

Esteemed Member

There is ethical and legal considerations. The NFPA must maintain it's non-profit status. Sure ;)

Competing with for-profit businesses has some ethical implications.

The NEC must avoid liability, and conflict of interest exposure.

jtb

I guess there are a lot of resources, but to purchase the resources necessary to do a comprehensive design would literally cost a fortune. If I do not have a financial backer, how can I truly gain this knowledge? And I do not have the time to learn by mistakes or work under a tutor, I am already working 40+ hours a week not including the 3 hours/day drive time.

I know this is a crazy question, but how have you guys learned all of this, and how can I pick it up fast? I am doing design now, and I have found it amazingly hard to assure code compliance and common sense material selection in a timely fashion by hunting through the NEC and other resources. My experience has taught me many valuable rules of thumb, but those don't hold up in court!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

What exactly is it that you are hoping to ?pick up fast??

If it?s NEC, then you can start by clicking over to Mike Holt?s home page, and shop there. You can also search on-line or using the old-fashion way (yellow pages), looking for training classes.

If it?s ?how to design,? I know of no books that offer instruction in that topic. You can visit the reference desk at your local public library, since finding books and information is what they do for a living. In addition, many libraries (in Western Washington, California, Ohio, Maryland, Kansas, and yes, PA, to name a few areas) offer 24/7 access to a reference librarian. Try typing ?24/7 library? in your browser?s search engine, and see where it leads you.

It seems to me that you are looking for a change in career, that you want to be doing something other (i.e., better) than you do in your present ?40+ hours a week, not including driving.? I would call that a noble and honorable endeavor. The only advice I will offer is the same I have been given, and the same I have given to others: Looking for a job (or in your case, a career enhancement) is itself a full-time-job. If you put into it anything less than a full effort, applying less than all of your free time, then your results are likely to be less than you could wish.

Good luck.
Charlie

dereckbc

Staff member

JTB, I wished there was a book out there that covered all the design aspects. But to my knowledge it does not exist. I know it?s clich?, but an education is not cheap. It just takes time and experience to acquire the knowledge and resources. There are no shortcuts. If you look at the profiles of members you respect, you will probable notice they have been in the business for a long time. There is no substitute for proper education and experience. Good luck. Dereck

bennie

Esteemed Member

I don't understand how you are doing design work and admittedly do not know how.

Designing is a skill and not square one in electrical technology.
It takes years, and a lot of studying, to be a competant designer.

Plan on learning the fundamentals and investing in a lot of reference material.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

JTB, even though we as electricians do design to an extent, and in some cases work as a team with engineers, we can not stamp designs, so even with the knowledge, experience, literature etc... you are still limited to what you can legally do.

You could seek employment as a "designer" under an engineer, but this is back to working under a tutor.

Of course I'm not in PA, so if the above doesn't apply never mind. :)

Roger

jtb

Bennie, I know the basics. I guess I should mention that I have 3 years of engineering in controls and instrumentation. I also have a BSEE.
I am new to the commercial engineering field.
I need to jump start into it, I am a year or so away from being able to stamp drawings. :(

jtb, from one engineer to another. Designing anything is how you approach and solve the problem that is presented to you. The knowlegde is through experinces and tapping the knowlegde that is available (ie this forum). I also know of no book that is "how to design!" If your an expereinced electrician who now is an engineer, design is all about how to do what ever better and not make the same old mistakes :) .

bennie

Esteemed Member

jtb: There appears to be a degree of inconstancy in your statements.

I only need eight more years for a PhD.

[ June 04, 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: bennie ]

jtb,
Welcome to the commercial engineering realm. Unfortunately, there is no single good design book, just as there is no good single design philosophy. A quote from an engineering 101 book I used to teach, ?Engineering is both an art and a science?. If your BSEE program was like mine, it taught you very little in the commercial area. Most programs are geared towards telecommunication and even if they are power related, they are more theory than practice and have little to do with commercial building construction. As you know, part of the requirement for licensure as a Professional Engineer is experience (typically under a current Professional Engineer). A good mentor is the best way to learn design (in addition to this forum of course). Keep your eyes and ears open and always be ready to learn, not only a better design, but also sometimes how NOT to design. You often learn the most from the ?bad? projects. Good Luck.

jtb

plechtenberg

You are correct, I learned a great deal in college, much of which does not apply. I don't think anything was mentioned about codes, standards, etc.

My point is I don't WANT to make mistakes!

I don't want to have some print that gives the electricians headaches. I don't want change orders. I don't want legal actions. :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

JTB, now I know where you're coming from.

My point is I don't WANT to make mistakes!
this is to be admired, but remember those who don't make mistakes aren't doing anything and actually making a heavier work load for those who are.

As far as this,
I don't want to have some print that gives the electricians headaches.
you will find both of you can cause headaches for each other unless you work together and then they become opportunities for solutions. (remember my statement of working as a team)

Now,
I don't want change orders. I don't want legal actions.
unfortunately these are the nature of the beast.

There will be contingensy funds in all jobs to cover the change orders and if you are dealing with reputable contractors all should be fair. (note, I said should be)

You will have to have E&O insurance to cover some mistakes as you know, to cover the legal end. :)

Best of luck

Roger

dereckbc

Staff member

JTB, I agree with Rogers?s last post. Every job you do will have mistakes. Last time I checked GOD is not a PE. :D Point is, experience gains references, confidence and knowledge, and experience takes time. No substitutes. Good luck. Dereck

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Since I do not design electrical systems I am a little confused on this post.

I know residential is simple. But don't you ask your client what they want before you start?

And don't you design for future work? 90.8

I hope I am not insulting anyone by trying to make this simple.

90.1(C) Intention........ "for untrained persons."

Mike P.

jtb

I always ask the client what they want. Unfortunately, the ones making the decisions are usually not the ones who know what they want.

I always design for future contingencies, and even overdesign on occasion depending on the clients propensity for adding load.

Status
Not open for further replies.