not really a NEC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
More along the lines of how do I "fix' this.

I belong to a club. Some overhead light fixtures mounted to a metal plate have been damaged over the years.

A club member is an electrician and agreed to replace them if I would go get the parts for him. I went looking for a surface mount incandescent fixture and found nothing that would replace the existing damaged fixtures, as they were all oriented with the bulb vertical. The existing fixtures are all oriented so that the bulb is horizontal which gives more head room.

I thought maybe I could get some short flourescent strip lights with the plastic cover. They would fit but can you come in the side of these things? No way to come through the top, as there is a 1/8" or 3/16" steel plate there.

the existing fixtures are wired in 1/2" EMT from a jbox about a foot away. It would appear to be easy to remove the EMT and install a short length of flex in its place and then come in through the side of the strip light. but I have never seen that done before.

Next question. the steel plate has the light fixtures hung on it. Does that make it likely to become energized? If so does that mean it needs a bonding wire?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: not really a NEC question

I probably should have phrased this a little different, so it is more clear what I prefer to do.

What I really want to do is get some replacement surface mount incandescent fixtures with the bulb mounted horizontally. I figured that you guys would know where I could find such a thing. That way they would be similar to the other fixtures. Some shooters would complain the flourescent fixtures give the guys shooting there some kind of advantage over the incandescent fixtures (or vice versa) and I am tired of whiners, so I don't want to give them anything else to whine about.

The flourescent strip fixture is a second choice that I will do only if I cannot find some replacement fixtures that are similar to the ones there already.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I'm not sure I understand the dimensions in question.

What are the overall dimensions of the old assembly?

Clearance from floor.
Projection down from the "metal plate" (thickness of the luminaire).
Side to side dimensions.

And since "shooting" is there, are there physical protection concerns for the individual luminaires?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

The exitsing fixture is surface mounted on the roof of the shooting point above where the shooter stands.

It is oval shaped, about 12" long and maybe 8" deep, but only extends about 4-5" down from the ceiling.

I talked with the lighting guy at my favorite electrical supplier and he could not find anything similar to replace it either.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

What's with the "shooting"? Is this a small arms practice range? Are you shooting craps? Are you shooting vodka straight up? Is this a photo studio? Are you shooting pharmaceutical fluids obtained under questionable circumstances? Are you shooting the moon (I'm trying hard not to imagine that one)? Are you shooting the breeze? Are you shooting yourselves in the foot? Are you shooting for the stars? Are you shooting your mouths off (too much of that happens here). Are you shooting the rapids? Are you shooting hoops? Are you shooting a glance at someone else's girlfriend? Are you shooting a film? Are you shooting darts? Are you shooting down politically incorrect ideas? Are you leaning against your shooting sticks?

I have no ideas that would help you. :D :D :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Can't help you much, Bob, we tend to do our shooting during the day. At the range on the back forty.

I do mean range--as in oven. Saw it on the side of the road and just knew the wife wouldn't have the nerve to leave me over it. So I brought my metal mistress home and proceeded to feather my buddy's AK-74 (no, really, AK-74) to simulate full auto fire into her. The range. Much fun.

Why do you need lights to shoot? :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Any chance of posting a photo of one of the existing luminaires? That might trigger some thoughts. (Wrote the sentence, and then saw the pun, but can't think of a better way to say it. So the pun stands.) I can't get a picture in my mind of what you are trying to replace.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by dillon3c:
I've seen simular,looks like a cheap wall-pack fixture.
i should have taken a picture of the other side where the lens is. it has a metal grill over it.

all the cheap fixtures I have seen are glass lenses. this is some kind of tough plastic with a metal grill.

dillon3c

Bob,I have seen these simular-looking fixtures 3-4 yrs ago mounted as Wall-Sconses.Mounted in vertical position high-up the wall,out of plain sight in a large church -(cubby area)-*on a wall, under a sky-light.

It was far behind the podium area,trying to give the 24/7 "natural effect" after the job construction completion.

*I'm sorry,don't recall manufacturer of these said luminiares.

Hope this post helps you along? ..maybe not..

dillon

Status
Not open for further replies.