Notes to 310.15B and table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

Re: Notes to 310.15B and table

Yes, if it is the "main power feeder", which it probably is.

EDIT: I am assuming you are talking about 310.15(B)(6), right?

[ June 16, 2005, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

dillon3c

To expand on Mr. Jackson's post..

310.15(B)(6)120/240 Volt,3 Wire,Single-Phase Dwelling Services and Feeders.

-For the individual dwelling units of one family,and multifamily dwellings,conductors,as listed in Table 310.15(B)(6) shall be permitted as 120/240 volt,3 wire,single-phase service-entrance conductors, and feeder conductors that serve as the main power feeder to each dwelling unit and are installed in raceway or cable with or without an equipment grounding conductor.

For application of this section, the Main power feeders shall be the feeder(s) between the main disconnect and the lighting and appliance branch circuit panelboards

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by codeunderstanding:
Does this article pertain to a feeder for a subpanel in a residential application I would think not but I'm not 100% sure.
My take is that the answer is "no" as Code asked it: "...a feeder for a subpanel..." This clearly refers to the service feeders: "the main power feeder to each dwelling unit", and not sub-panel feeders.

Even if you consider a main-lug main panel fed from a remotely-located main breaker to be a sub-panel (which it of course is), that's covered by "...with or without an equipment grounding conductor."

"That's all I have to say about that." ~ Forrest Gump

hurk27

By Frank: Sub Panel: Any and all panels that are not Main Panels,(see main panels)
This is not what the NEC is saying. It allows one wire size smaller for the service conductors that run from the drop/laterals all the way to the first lighting, branch circuit panel board(s). The (s) is where you have installed two parallel panels like off a 320 meter. Any panel after the first lighting/branch circuit panel has to have the full sized wire to it.
Just like it says in 310.15(B)(6):
For application of this section, the main power feeder shall be the feeder(s) between the main disconnect and the lighting and appliance branch-circuit Panelboard(s)

[ June 17, 2005, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.