Notifier communications protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

attomsriver

Hello:
I monitor, reset alarms and enable /disable points for Fire systems in facilities I work in.
My dealings are mostly related to the H.V.A.C /smoke damper side of fire systems.
I consider myself a newbie, and I have a couple of questions.
All our Honeywell and Simplex systems use two wires for all the devices and modules.
1) Is it safe to say that all the devices are polled by some sort of RS-485 protocol , and that they are also powered (flashing led's) by the same power?

2) On the Honeywell Notifier all points are addressed as Loop ( that is the circuit) , node number and then device number(address).
In H.V.A.C. controls a node is an addressable device attached to the network.
Is it safe to say that a node in a fire alarm control system is a point at which lines intersect or branch ?

Thank you

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Hello:
I monitor, reset alarms and enable /disable points for Fire systems in facilities I work in.
My dealings are mostly related to the H.V.A.C /smoke damper side of fire systems.
All our Honeywell and Simplex systems use two wires for all the devices and modules.
1) Is it safe to say that all the devices are polled by some sort of RS-485 protocol , and that they are also powered (flashing led's) by the same power?

It's safe to say that all the addressable devices are polled and powered by a two wire proprietary loop. If you have access to an inductive amplifier, hold it near a known RS-485 circuit. Now do the same with an addressable Simplex or Notifier device loop. You'll be able to hear that they are obviously different. Some fire alarm manufacturers use the RS-485 protocol for communications between panels and annunciators. These are always terminated with 50 ohm resistors at each end.

2) On the Honeywell Notifier all points are addressed as Loop ( that is the circuit) , node number and then device number(address).
In H.V.A.C. controls a node is an addressable device attached to the network.
Is it safe to say that a node in a fire alarm control system is a point at which lines intersect or branch ?

Thank you

No.

nhfire77

Hello:

Thank you

No, its is the system sensor protocol modified for notifier panels, proprietary signal. Yes the SLC powers all the addressable devices, they each draw about 0.55mA or something ungodly low. No system sensor protocol data loops have a termination like rs485, which could be being used in the same system, for annunciatiors etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.