Novice/DIYer conduit confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

new-guy

HI

I am wiring a used hot tub and using the advice from this board, read/studied the National Elect Code articles 310 (conductors), 342-362 (conduits) and 680 (pools/spas) and now I am really confused.

Conduit question...
- Art 350 says you can use Liquidtight Metal Conduit for any length and Art 356 says you can Liquidtight Nonmetaliic Conduit-B when secured inaccordance with the code but....
- Art 680.42 states you can't use either for a length greater than 6ft for spas

To a novice, they seem contridictory. Which article of the code takes precidence?

Thanks -- I've really appreciated and used all the advice/insight I gotten from this boad! Its made a much better/safer DIYer.

doug

dana1028

Re: Novice/DIYer conduit confusion

Art. 680 takes precedent - one reason is that you are installing a hot tub...which is governed by Art. 680.

The code is not contradictory - Art. 350 & 356 give you general guidelines for the use of these conduit systems...Art. 680 is a specific application of these conduit systems and amends/restricts the use of these systems.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Novice/DIYer conduit confusion

I am locking this thread.
This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries.
Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.