NOW WHAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboy383

While pulling in 4 500mcm's I noticed the outer insulation was peeled back in several loctations, it did not effect the inner insulation but looks really shitty. Can I simply rap it with tape and be done? Are is this a major problem that needs to be fixed? HELP..... :confused:

gramps

Re: NOW WHAT

cowboy, this has happened to me before, too. the wire needs to be visually inspected very closely, then meggered. you prolly oughta do a p.i. test too. how long a run is it? this outer layer snags pretty easy on this stuff, but i dont think its anything to be too concerned about, as long as you can insure that the main insulation isnt damaged.

hope this helps

gramps

templdl

Give this a thought. That outer layer could be the protective layer for THWN or similar cable that makes it either moisture and/or oil resistant but most likely will not affect the electrical insulation properties unless the inner insulation is also damaged. I would consult with the cable manufacturer and get their opinion. However, technically if it is the outer layer that is damaged then the cable do longer conforms with the marking on or rating of the cable.

russ

I think your right. The outer nylon jacket protects the pvc insulation and is resistant to abrasion, moisture, gasoline, and oil.
Atleast that's what I get from what I read on one of the wire web sights.
I think it was Rome or South Wire

Russ

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I used to argue the point that the outer jacket actually had an insualation property. But, if you have access to cable manufacturers catalogs, (easier and more user friendly than websites, at least for me) you will see that with the exception of providing chemical and abbrasion protection, it doesn't really play a roll, even with reduced insulation thickness.

If it is nylon, it actually absorbs moisture.

Roger

[ March 07, 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

Len_B

I would megger the cable. If good, I would tape anything that looked really ugly. This isn't the first or last time this has happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.