Nrtl

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltastarinc1

Looking for information on all of the available testing labs. I have various pieces of industrial equipment coming in from Germany & Italy that will require an inspection and labeling. Why did all of the manufacturing move out of this country? Nothing is made here anymore and this is creating a huge problem when it comes to getting inspections, especially when the customer does not understand. Other then the very pricey UL, who are the other orginizations out there and is there a contact number for each available.
I heard this through the grape vine that if I install a plug and obtain an inspection. What ever they plug into that plug after that is on them?

bphgravity

Here's the full list:

Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
(also known as CSA International)
Communication Certification Laboratory, Inc. (CCL)
Curtis-Straus LLC (CSL)
Electrical Reliability Services, Inc. (ERS)
(also known as eti Conformity Services and formerly Electro-Test, Inc. (ETI))
FM Approvals LLC (FM)
(formerly Factory Mutual Research Corporation)
Intertek Testing Services NA, Inc. (ITSNA)
(formerly ETL)
MET Laboratories, Inc. (MET)
NSF International (NSF)
National Technical Systems, Inc. (NTS)
SGS U.S. Testing Company, Inc. (SGSUS)
(formerly UST-CA)
Southwest Research Institute (SWRI)
TUV America, Inc. (TUVAM)
TUV Product Services GmbH (TUVPSG)
TUV Rheinland of North America, Inc. (TUV)
Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL)
Wyle Laboratories, Inc. (WL)

Or go here:

http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/

deltastarinc1 said:
Looking for information on all of the available testing labs. I have various pieces of industrial equipment coming in from Germany & Italy that will require an inspection and labeling.

Check your state government (AHJ etc) for THEIR list of who THEY recognize.
In Maryland it is the Fire Marshall, and we have MANY independedn (and some are small) testing shops fully qualified to inspect (even on the job site) for the sort of approvals you need.

philj639

deltastarinc1 said:
...Why did all of the manufacturing move out of this country? Nothing is made here anymore and this is creating a huge problem when it comes to getting inspections, especially when the customer does not understand. ...?

The European Union's "CE" system was actually developed with the consideration of it being a trade barrier/advantage to North America, primarily the United States. In Europe, the manufacturers are required by law to meet the requirements of the European system before they can sell a product. Outside manufacturers trying to sell into the EU are required to meet the same standards. Unfortunately, the product safety certification system we have in the United States has to many loop-wholes, allowing foreign manufacturers to sell more freely in the US.
Until we can in union, convince our politicians that the out-sourcing of US manufacturing jobs, and the above, must be addressed, I think little will change.

LJSMITH1

When checking labs listed in OSHA's NRTL list, make sure to look at each lab separately. They are not all certified to test to every specification (i.e. Not all NRTL's are certified to test to UL514B). The NEC/NFPA does not endorse UL or any other NRTL. They typically define it as 'third party' certification.

Most jurisdictions *should not* have a problem with using a certified lab on the NRTL list. If they do, it is purely out of misguidance and ignorance. Folks at ETL, NSF, CSA, etc. will typically support you if you have run into resistance from AHJ with UL preferences. Remember, the primary thing that sets UL apart from many of the other NRTL's is that they write the specifications AND Test to them - many of the other NRTL's just test to them. However, if there is a UL or other spec out there (like UL514B, ASTM, MIL-SPEC, etc.) other qualified NRTL's can test/certify to them just like UL can.

I think many people have realized that UL has overstepped it's monopoly in the NRTL arena, and folks like ETL, CSA, and NSF have offered attractive alternatives (less time and money) to manufacturers and engineers. Now, it's just about educating the AHJ's and changing a 100 year old 'culture'.

Status
Not open for further replies.