number of cond. in 1/2" EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsamuelson

My boss has asked me if I can put 4-#12 and 3-#10 THHN in 1/2" EMT. My response was NO, I need some confirmation.

Thanks, Willie Samuelson

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: number of cond. in 1/2" EMT

I think you can do as your boss has requested. From Chapter 9, Table 4, a 1/2 inch EMT has an available area (at 40% fill) of 0.122 square inches. From Table 8, a #12 has an overall area of 0.006 square inches, and a #10 has an overall area of 0.011 square inches. Therefore, 4 #12 and 3 #10 would have a total area of 0.057 square inches. This is less than the 40% fill number (.057 < .122), and is therefore acceptable. I don?t believe that this type of ?calculation? would require ?engineering supervision.?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Let me add two observations.

First, Table C1 says you can pull 5 #10 THHN into a 1/2 inch EMT. It is clear that if you pull only 3 #10, there will be ?some room? left. But is it enough room to pull 4 #12? You cannot get that type of information from a single table. You have to go through the process shown above.

Secondly, if you do pull the conductors as your boss has requested, you will have to de-rate per Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) to 70%, presuming that all 7 conductors are ?current-carrying.?

z-men

table 8 is for bare conductors.Go to table 5 dimensions of insulated conductors #12 is .0532 and #10 is .0633 then work the problem like you did and you get .1165 It will fit in the 40% area of .122

physis

I get the same 0.1165 sq. in. as Z-men calculaing for THHN. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.