Number of conductors in a box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
If you have three circuits of 12/2 that are spliced in a box how many conductors is that considered? Obviously the hot and neutrals count for 12 conductors but if the grounds are spliced in with three individual wire nuts and not all tied together are they each considered one conductor or are they considered as one conductor? So....six 12/2's running into a box and tied together would either be 13 conductors or 15 conductors. I want to put them into a 32 sq. inch box but that only allows for 14.2 conductors.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The equipment grounding conductor's must be spliced together and count as 1..

250.148 Continuity and Attachment of Equipment
Grounding Conductors to Boxes. Where circuit conductors
are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment
within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(
s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected
within the box or to the box with devices suitable for
the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This may open a whole can of worms but I think an argument can be made, based on 250.148 that all the equipment grounds {excluding those allowed under 250.146(D)} would need to be connected together. Then 314.16(B)(5) allows them to count as a total of one.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This may open a whole can of worms but I think an argument can be made, based on 250.148 that all the equipment grounds {excluding those allowed under 250.146(D)} would need to be connected together. Then 314.16(B)(5) allows them to count as a total of one.

:D........... Lets go fishing with them worms

Status
Not open for further replies.