Number of disconnect for solar

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Can you install up to six disconnect for solar panels complying with 690.15 ( A )
I was thinking of separate disconnect mounted in a group together ????
The six handle rule only applies to AC connection(s).

Carultch

If you are doing a supply-side interconnection you may have up to 6 PV system disconnects, grouped.

What are the circumstances, if any, that allow a PV system supply side disconnect to be your 7th service disconnect, when there are 6 existing disconnects already?

This document shows such an example, with a 7th disconnect for the PV system:

What are the circumstances, if any, that allow a PV system supply side disconnect to be your 7th service disconnect, when there are 6 existing disconnects already?

This document shows such an example, with a 7th disconnect for the PV system:
See 230.71. you are allowed up to 6 for EACH set of service entrance conductors allowed per 230.40.

pv_n00b

It's not the 7th disconnect, it's the 1st PV disconnect and there can be five more. This is a common misconception and it sends people to the code saying, show me where the 7th disconnect is allowed.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If you really want to get into the weeds, then arguably if you have an MLO service panel (no longer allowed in 2023 NEC anyway, unless the AHJ grandfathers) then the PV can't be a 7th handle. But if you have a separate PV system panel you get to have handles 7 through 12. That's because the allowance for six more handles is for the separate 'set of service entrance conductors' allowed by 230.40 Exception 5 and 230.82(6).

If you really want to get into the weeds, then arguably if you have an MLO service panel (no longer allowed in 2023 NEC anyway, unless the AHJ grandfathers) then the PV can't be a 7th handle. But if you have a separate PV system panel you get to have handles 7 through 12. That's because the allowance for six more handles is for the separate 'set of service entrance conductors' allowed by 230.40 Exception 5 and 230.82(6).
And also there is the "there shall not be more than six disconnects per service grouped in any one location" wording in 230.71. the way I read that, that applies even if you have more than six per one of the 230.40 exceptions

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
And also there is the "there shall not be more than six disconnects per service grouped in any one location" wording in 230.71. the way I read that, that applies even if you have more than six per one of the 230.40 exceptions
Looks like that went away in the 2020 NEC? Unless I've missed where it moved to.

Cheers, Wayne

pv_n00b

That is true, but I see it ignored all the time. It's not unusual for me to find an MLO SWBD with six service disconnect CBs and a PV CB. I think the nuance might be lost on most.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
230.72(B), in both 2017 and 2020, says "The one or more additional service disconnecting means for fire pumps, emergency systems, legally required standby, or optional standby services permitted by 230.2 shall be installed remote from the one to six service disconnecting means for normal service . . ." Which doesn't cover PV disconnecting means.

But 2017 NEC 230.71 says more broadly "There shall be not more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location." I don't see that in the 2020 NEC.

Cheers, Wayne

pv_n00b

230.72(B), in both 2017 and 2020, says "The one or more additional service disconnecting means for fire pumps, emergency systems, legally required standby, or optional standby services permitted by 230.2 shall be installed remote from the one to six service disconnecting means for normal service . . ." Which doesn't cover PV disconnecting means.

But 2017 NEC 230.71 says more broadly "There shall be not more than six sets of disconnects per service grouped in any one location." I don't see that in the 2020 NEC.

Cheers, Wayne
Ah, they were looking for the "grouped in one location" limitation and yes, that seems to be gone in later versions of the code.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Apparently that's so.
Perhaps under the 2017 NEC, but that is moot or soon to be moot. The language is in not in the 2020 NEC.

Also, the phrase "set of disconnects" I would take to mean the 1-6 disconnects allowed per set of service entrance conductors, so the requirement more broadly would have restricted the number of disconnects to those allowed for up to 6 sets of service entrance conductors. I.e. you could only get to 36 if you had 6 sets of disconnects on each of 6 sets of service entrance conductors.

Cheers, Wayne

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Perhaps under the 2017 NEC, but that is moot or soon to be moot. The language is in not in the 2020 NEC.

Also, the phrase "set of disconnects" I would take to mean the 1-6 disconnects allowed per set of service entrance conductors, so the requirement more broadly would have restricted the number of disconnects to those allowed for up to 6 sets of service entrance conductors. I.e. you could only get to 36 if you had 6 sets of disconnects on each of 6 sets of service entrance conductors.

Cheers, Wayne
Sure, all true. 36 is an absolute max assuming you can properly invoke 230.40 exceptions for all beyond the first six.