NYC vs NYS Interconnection

kaveenkw123

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello,
I am currently working on some PV projects in NYC and it didnt occur to me that NYC still follows 2011 NEC which has more leniant interconnection rules. This brought up whether I should follow the 2011 or 2017 NEC which is followed by NYS.

Specifically, in 705.12 of 2011; A busbar tap doesnt need to be on the opposite side for the 120% rule to apply.
But 705.12 of 2017 needs the PV tap on to the bus bar to be on the opposite side for the 120% to be applied.

So following 2011 NEC will make the interconnection much easier but is this a good thing to follow? Any thoughts are appreciated. Also please correct me if my interpretaion of this is wrong.

2011-705.12.png

2017-705.12.png
Thankyou in advance

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You need to look at 705.12(D)(7) in the 2011 code. (Man, the 2011 NEC. I used to have that section memorized, but I had to look it up.) If you are connecting to a panelboard then the rules didn't really change that much. The opposite end bit was already there.

The 2011 wording you cite in 705.12(D)(2) is most interesting when it comes to feeder taps.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

kaveenkw123

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yes I missed the part down the section that says the same thing as everyother NEC about connection needing to be on the opposite end. My mistake. Thankyou all