NYS PE Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirenut25

Would anyone happen to know if finishing a certified apprenticeship would qualify me to take the PE Exam. Does anyone know how the NCEES regulates work experience?

boater bill

Typically you would have to be under the design supervision of a PE to qualify for the PE exam. You also would have to have passed the engineering fundamentals exam before your internship.

I would look at the NY state engineering board's web site for the exact information.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Not all states will accept a BS degree in Electrical Engineering Technology as meeting the educational requirements for a Professional Engineering License. You do need to check into the state’s rules.

I would guess that experience in installing electrical equipment is unlikely to be credited in the same way that experience in designing electrical installations might be credited. As Boater Bill pointed out, they will be looking for training under the supervision of a PE, more so than training under the supervision of a Journeyman or a Master. Also, if you haven’t yet taken the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (i.e., the Engineering Intern Exam, formerly the Engineer in Training Exam), please be aware that it may cover topics that might not be included in a BSEET Degree Program. When I took my EIT and PE exams (2 consecutive days, 12 years after college – not a great plan, but it worked for me) I recall having to go back and study such subjects as chemistry, physics, calculus, mechanics (including statics and dynamics), and Engineering Economics.

I wish you the best.

Last edited:

boater bill

Not all states will accept a BS degree in Electrical Engineering Technology as meeting the educational requirements for a Professional Engineering License. You do need to check into the state?s rules.

Yup,
That is why I have a PE in Alabama and am "only" a designer in Florida.

jtester

I practice in New Mexico and currently have an engineer "apprenticing" under me. He has been a journeyman electrician and a contractor for years, and recently completed his BS in Electrical Engineering.

New Mexico requires 4 years of experience under a licensed engineer after a degree. This engineer appealed that rule, and didn't get anywhere. The PE board directed him to do 4 years under an engineer, his experience as an electrician didn't count at all.

Good luck in your efforts, but check with the local PE boards.

Jim T

wirenut25

I shouldve included this in my opening post but I passed the FE in 2006 and was now just wondering how long until I would have to wait to take the PE. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.