Occupancy sensor wiring w/ power pack practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydeisland

What is your common practice for wiring occupancy sensors with power pack? I ve been "breaking" the switch leg between the switch and the light. Basically the "line" is switched and load going directly to the load ie the light, so basically there is always constant power at the switch. A colleague has told me I should be wiring so the load is essentially the constant hot terminal on the switch and the feed is the line. I see no difference in functionality, the only difference being the way I do it there is always power in the switch, in his way there is always power in the power pack.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
No difference, but I prefer your method in general. His way probably has a faster response from the lights, but your way allows the power pack to be deenergized, probably shutting off the OS, saving a little more electricity and perhaps extending the lifespan of the equipment.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
No difference, but I prefer your method in general. His way probably has a faster response from the lights, but your way allows the power pack to be deenergized, probably shutting off the OS, saving a little more electricity and perhaps extending the lifespan of the equipment.

I agree that there is no difference, and no right or wrong way to do it, but I offer this as a justification to do it the other way. Standardization. Since you have to wire the switches on the load side fo the power pack relay if you have dual level switching, or say an open office that has sensors triggered to turn on all the lights and switches then control individual loads, task lighting etc. I suggest you just get in the habit of wiring all switches on the load side for consistancy. We are generally Type A personalities after all, or we wouldn't be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.