Occupancy Sensor

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
Adding a line voltage 277 Occupancy Sensor at a commercial building, metal boxes with EMT. It's a switch loop but I will drop a neutral from overhead.
The OS from Leviton gives a choice of getting a neutral or a egc. the wire has a color sleeve, for white or green. Is there a OS that will give me both a ground as well as the neutral?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is there a OS that will give me both a ground as well as the neutral?
What do you by "give me both a ground as well as a neutral"? The neutral is there for the operation of the sensor. If there is no neutral present as the location the sensor will use the EGC instead.

kwired

Electron manager
Adding a line voltage 277 Occupancy Sensor at a commercial building, metal boxes with EMT. It's a switch loop but I will drop a neutral from overhead.
The OS from Leviton gives a choice of getting a neutral or a egc. the wire has a color sleeve, for white or green. Is there a OS that will give me both a ground as well as the neutral?
Current editions of NEC require you to use a neutral for that conductor, it is a current carrying conductor for powering the electronics of the device.

The device yoke if metallic is what needs connected to an EGC. direct contact to a metal box or contact devices between the screw and the yoke is sufficient to meet that requirement, or if it has a separate EGC pigtail that is also acceptable.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Usually the sensors are made of plastic, so no exposed metal parts that need bonding, so if no neutral is available, such as a switch retrofit, then, as others have said, the ground provides a return path to power the electronics. It is a very small current.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Usually the sensors are made of plastic, so no exposed metal parts that need bonding, so if no neutral is available, such as a switch retrofit, then, as others have said, the ground provides a return path to power the electronics. It is a very small current.
I just installed a Lutron branded one last week and it came with a removable sleeve to change the color on the neutral conductor for when the location lacked a neutral.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I just installed a Lutron branded one last week and it came with a removable sleeve to change the color on the neutral conductor for when the location lacked a neutral.
The manufacturers started doing that a few years ago. (Providing the colored sleeves) Using the neutral is preferable, because if the lights are on gfi protection, it can cause nuisance tripping.