OCPD for ESS per 2019 NEC 706.31.F

fandi

Hello All,
Per 706.31.F, an OCPD is required if the circuit passes through a wall.
My question is: If the wall is low enough (for example 3ft or 4ft) and the conduit is run over the wall (not through), is an OCPD still required?
Thanks.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
2019 NEC?

I think this is a judgement call. It might not be needed if the connected equipment is right on the other side of a wall that any adult can look over.

Note that you need a disconnect within sight of the ESS. So if the conduit is going some distance away to equipment that is not in sight, and you can use a circuit breaker for the ESS disconnect, it's probably not worth fighting about.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The California Electrical Code 2019 is based on the NFPA 70, 2017 with amendments and additions.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The 2022 CEC, which is in force now, is based on the 2020 NEC.
But this particular section did not change in any recent code cycle.

fandi

2019 NEC?

I think this is a judgement call. It might not be needed if the connected equipment is right on the other side of a wall that any adult can look over.

Note that you need a disconnect within sight of the ESS. So if the conduit is going some distance away to equipment that is not in sight, and you can use a circuit breaker for the ESS disconnect, it's probably not worth fighting about.
The Tesla Gateway is upstream of the ESS. The ESS is within sight of the Gateway. The disconnect you're talking about is the 60A breaker (that connects to the ESS) that is inside the Gateway.