Office Building Calculations Question

paullmullen

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Here's a question from the Holt 2020 Exam Prep book, commercial section:

1698765903116.png

My question is this:

Though the question clearly calls out computers and printers as some of the loads, I would think that they would be included in the receptacle loads described in the question. But in the provided solution, the book adds all the specified loads including all the receptacles PLUS the computers and printers. I "get it" from a can-you-do-the-math perspective, but I'm wondering about this practically. Wouldn't the Master and the AHJ assume that computers and printers would be normal loads on the receptacles in such a building? Would they really make some estimate of the number of computers and printers for doing the load calcs? Why not count the number of pinball machines and mini fridges that tenants could possibly plug in?

Asking for a friend.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You are correct in observing that what it takes to arrive at the answer expected by the test question's author need not be the same as what would happen in the field. I would include the computers and printers with the receptacle load.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
For the purposes of this question, what's the difference between "receptacles" and "receptacles, continuous duty use"?

Also, if you know you are going to be installing specific loads on some of the receptacles, doesn't 220.14(A) require that you use the known loads, rather than just rely on 220.14(I)?

Cheers, Wayne

paullmullen

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You are correct in observing that what it takes to arrive at the answer expected by the test question's author need not be the same as what would happen in the field. I would include the computers and printers with the receptacle load.
Yeah... sometimes it's hard to sort out when the question design is intended for you to look for things like this, and when its just straightforward. I think you just have to do it both ways if the first answer isn't among the multiple choice options.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I agree; there is a difference between answering a test question and working in the field. For example, a test question may ask what the minimum wire size would be needed to supply a particular load, while in the field the question might be whether you can use some of the buttload of #10 that you have on the truck.