Offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have one space divided into 5 spaces on second floor of building. All 5 spaces A, B,C,D,E are going to be offices with 5 separate tenants. However the branch circuit panelboards for light and power for all 5 tenants A,B,C,D,E is located in tenat A space.

Should not each tenant space have its own panelboard with branch circuits or that does not apply to offices?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Look at 240.24(B)
The exception to 240.24(B) applies to service and feeder overcurrent devices and for guest rooms or guest suites branch circuit overcurrent devices.

Does not say anything about office branch circuit overcurrent devices. I am assuming offices A,B,C,D,E do each need panelboard with branch circuit overcurrent devices in their individual space.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The exception to 240.24(B) applies to service and feeder overcurrent devices and for guest rooms or guest suites branch circuit overcurrent devices.

Does not say anything about office branch circuit overcurrent devices. I am assuming offices A,B,C,D,E do each need panelboard with branch circuit overcurrent devices in their individual space.

I could be wrong. Not sure. Is the above post correct?

kwired

Electron manager
I think careful look into what defines a tenant space is in order, and not just from NEC perspective.

I can see renting or even subleasing a room in some situations not make it a separate tenant space. Some those situations may be temporary, some may be more permanent.

Building codes and zoning rules can come into play as well. Business may be a little more complex at times, but take a single family dwelling and rent a bedroom to an individual for whatever reason (friend, relative, totally for profits) - doesn't automatically make it a multi family dwelling, unless you add additional provisions for cooking and sanitation for the second dwelling.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I think careful look into what defines a tenant space is in order, and not just from NEC perspective.

I can see renting or even subleasing a room in some situations not make it a separate tenant space. Some those situations may be temporary, some may be more permanent.

Building codes and zoning rules can come into play as well. Business may be a little more complex at times, but take a single family dwelling and rent a bedroom to an individual for whatever reason (friend, relative, totally for profits) - doesn't automatically make it a multi family dwelling, unless you add additional provisions for cooking and sanitation for the second dwelling.
Dont follow. I have one panelboard feeding branch circuits units A to E and it is located in Unit A. However, units A to E each have different tenants. Are you saysing Units A,B,C,D,E maybe not even be tenants?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

I don't see an "exception" to 240.24(B).. but 240.24 states each occupant shall have ready access to their overcurrent devices..
except as noted in section (B)(2) which applies to guest rooms and (B)(1) which addesses service and feeder so I would think 240.24(B) itself requires the branch circuit overcurrent devices to be accessible by the occupant.

handy10

Does the A panel board control any circuit outside of those in the A office? Even small apartment buildings require a separate panel board in each unit. How would it work for someone who stays late in B when a circuit breaker is tripped in A?

kwired

Electron manager
Dont follow. I have one panelboard feeding branch circuits units A to E and it is located in Unit A. However, units A to E each have different tenants. Are you saysing Units A,B,C,D,E maybe not even be tenants?

Are they legal occupancies per building codes and zoning or are they simply existing rooms that owner decided to rent the space to another party?

If it is simply an existing room - there may or may not be legal occupancy issues, but the chance is greater the user of that space has access to more then just that room, may have to pass through other occupant space just to enter their space, probably is permitted to use restrooms, break room or even a conference/meeting room at times. Such arrangement obviously needs to have some trust between "occupants". If not access to overcurrent devices is really a pretty small issue to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.