Offset nipple or another option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Need opinion from the collective minds..
I looked at a small job to replace an old meterbase combo with a new meterbase combo for a transfer switch.
The SE cable comes in from the roof(ranch stack 2’ above roof), through the overhang, and is behind the brick. The existing meterbase combo is also recessed in the brick.
It has 2-100 amp breakers that each feed a 100 amp panel in the house.
They cut the brick down to go in front of the rigid pipe and look like full bricks.

I want to fill in with brick and surface mount the new meter base/ combo panel and get a transfer switch in there somehow..

problem is, I would like to use the existing rigid if I could find an offset that would offset that far. A 3/4” offset is all I could find. I would need something like a 2” steel offset nipple that offsets 2-2 1/2” rather than a normal nipple that offsets 3/4”.
They make one of those?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
So you're wanting to leave the original pipe behind the brick, then offset out of the brick somehow?

How much length do you have available?

You have threads on the end of the existing rigid?

Wondering....how will you spin an offset nipple into a coupling? Will it clear?

Can you take a piece of 2" rigid to a muffler shop and have a tight offset bent there? Around here, we have rigid overhead risers bent at muffler shops all the time

Buck Parrish

How long do you need the nipple to be?

But wait ... James get's two inch rigid bent at a muffler shop? Wow , that's a new one on me. They must make heavy duty mufflers.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
So you're wanting to leave the original pipe behind the brick, then offset out of the brick somehow?
Yes

How much length do you have available?
Length of rigid? 22 ft. Length of wire? 4’ extra to push down the pipe
You have threads on the end of the existing rigid?

Wondering....how will you spin an offset nipple into a coupling? Will it clear?

Yes, and chip out the bottom two or three bricks and gently spin on a coupling. They have to be removed anyway for the offset

Todd0x1

I actually have one of those but can’t bend a 2” tight enough(I don’t think)..

Let the 2" ride on the ridges of the 1-1/4" shoe? (I have no idea if this would work, kink the pipe, or cause the bender to explode)

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That's what I meant . What is the maximum length the offset can be ?
I’m not really limited by obstacles, more by what looks good. I’m wondering now since it was mentioned if I can bend two shorter 22.5 as Larry suggested and thread them...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I’m not really limited by obstacles, more by what looks good. I’m wondering now since it was mentioned if I can bend two shorter 22.5 as Larry suggested and thread them...
They're sold already made.

Or you mean bend, then cut, then thread?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
They're sold already made.
Yeah, I was thinking if I cut them down and retread them I could get it a little tighter to maybe about 8-10 inches of fittings sticking out of the wall.
I’ve got the threader and the bender.
we use it for substation bus. I’m not a pro at extravagant bends but I believe I can muddle through a couple of 22.5s to practice on.

This job is for a friend up the road from me...
You know how it is...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Might be some interesting bonding but what about mounting the new meter base combo on the surface over the old one and chase nipple out the back

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Might be some interesting bonding but what about mounting the new meter base combo on the surface over the old one and chase nipple out the back
Wait... that’s a legal option?
Just gut the old base and leave the outer case in the brick?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Might want the blessing of the AHJ but I have seen similar approved,.
With proper bonding jumpers and no splices in the old box you are simply using it as a raceway.
Unusual, but this is an unusual situation.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Can you use a 90° bend to enter on the side of the new meter base combo, and kick the 90 out enough to clear the brick, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.