Oh, My bad, I used MY numbers for the prcie

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Sent out an email quote for a job the other day. Small addtion, add sub panel, wire smokes in the house etc.

Priced it out at $5898.00

Guy replies with "That sounds A little high"

Yeah I know It always does. :rolleyes:

Anyway he goes on to list how HE figured the price. "Should be closer to $4500.00. What do you think?" he says.

Well I think if it was going to be $4500.00 I would have told you that, not $5898.00. DUH!!

Anyway, the guy is in the construction biz and does have some knowledge of what the job entails and such. His numbers were actually pretty close in terms of time an materials.

The problem is HE thinks I am going to work for $62.00 and hour according to his numbers. He is sadly mistaken.

ceknight

electricmanscott said:
Anyway he goes on to list how HE figured the price. "Should be closer to $4500.00. What do you think?" he says.

I give the same answer to that question every time, and it works:

"Yes, that's the Do-It-Yourself Price. Mine was the "I do it for you price"."

:)

HighWirey

electricmanscott said:
Sent out an email quote for a job the other day. Small addtion, add sub panel, wire smokes in the house etc.

Priced it out at $5898.00

Well I think if it was going to be $4500.00 I would have told you that, not $5898.00. DUH!!

Anyway, the guy is in the construction biz and does have some knowledge of what the job entails and such. His numbers were actually pretty close in terms of time an materials.

The problem is HE thinks I am going to work for $62.00 and hour according to his numbers. He is sadly mistaken.

Well, did you get the project? Or did Mr Construction Biz manage to snag someone with less gumption than you have? If so, good luck to the taker. We all hate to miss landing a project.

Best Wishes Everyone

480sparky

"Well, my price is a complete, turn-key operation. When I'm done, everything will be done according to the owner's specifications, and it will not only work, but be safe. You only need to let me know when I can start. All material, labor, permits, insurance, bonds, inspections etc. are included. As well as a warranty. If there's a problem, I will be here for you to call and have it fixed. I will also be here to call after Fly-By-Night Electric has their phone disconnected."

e57

I got one better - sent a price out, and the cusomer calls me and says the GC "Corrected" your bid - seems I left out 2 lines out of the totals.... He added them back in for me to the tune of another grand - how nice....... Yep - he's marking up my totals so it works in his favor too... Glad I got someone looking out for me....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
electricmanscott said:

You gave him your price. he can either accept it, or go elsewhere. I would not be dickering over such a small amount of profit.

quogueelectric said:
I really learned early that when they ask you to start right away that your price is too low.

Hey, we usually say that! Then again, we try to wait until the last minute, and work at break neck speeds, and work with the same subs as often as possible :grin:

edit to add:

Oh, yeah, I have overheard my boss telling subs to add a little something extra in their bid, sometimes I think it's a PITA factor, sometimes I think they bid low or left something out.

Last edited:

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
e57 said:
I got one better - sent a price out, and the cusomer calls me and says the GC "Corrected" your bid - seems I left out 2 lines out of the totals.... He added them back in for me to the tune of another grand - how nice....... Yep - he's marking up my totals so it works in his favor too... Glad I got someone looking out for me....
That's a good thing right?

I try to submit my estimates to the GC only so they can do just that: mark up my prices. It makes them happy :smile: and I get all their business.

Status
Not open for further replies.