Oil Pan requirements for Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezdrocks

Occupation
I&E Designer, Industrial Electrical and Instrumentation design (NOT an engineer but close)
All,

Installing a 12,470x480 Delta Wye transformer at a chemical storage facility. The unit is being installed outdoors on a raised platform that is outside containment in an unclassified area. The facility currently has numerous transformers installed in a similar manner that do not have drain pans below the transformers in case of an oil leak. I'm looking through the NEC (specifically 450.27) and it does not say that it is a requirement to add the pan. There is separation from other equipment and buildings, etc.

Is there any requirement that says I have to install a pan beneath the oil filled transformer?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The NEC is not the only code that may apply. Often oil containment requirements come through environmental regulations instead, especially if there a nearby body of water.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The NEC is not the only code that may apply. Often oil containment requirements come through environmental regulations instead, especially if there a nearby body of water.

And maybe from insurance underwriters who are worried that oil spilled during a transformer failure might ignite and become a flaming river. Often times the answer depends on the size of the transformer tank due to how many gallons it holds.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
All,

Installing a 12,470x480 Delta Wye transformer at a chemical storage facility. The unit is being installed outdoors on a raised platform that is outside containment in an unclassified area. The facility currently has numerous transformers installed in a similar manner that do not have drain pans below the transformers in case of an oil leak. I'm looking through the NEC (specifically 450.27) and it does not say that it is a requirement to add the pan. There is separation from other equipment and buildings, etc.
Is there any requirement that says I have to install a pan beneath the oil filled transformer?

If you still need pertinent info in your design work there is some helpful information:

This falls under EPA environmental protection.
If you don't have filter, this site may have some ads.
NEC 450 doesn't say much about EPA mandates—it seems like environmental protection takes a back burner priority for those NEC fellows. :)

National Electrical Safety Code ANSI C2.

Check out this site:

It will even tell you what is or what is not required to have containment pan.

https://www.ciagent.com/spcc-regulations-for-secondary-containment-volume-requirements/

also:

https://ethw.org/National_Electrical_Safety_Code_ANSI_C2

Status
Not open for further replies.