Oil Storage - Electrical Requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbright28

I have a project that has a room called out for Oil Storage. I know it has to be a classified area for electrical - because it is affecting the Mechanical Plumbing for draining.

I've tried looking in the code book to figure out what best describes this area, if anything, and what the things I need to tell/show on the drawings.

Thanks for the input in advance.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
starbright28 said:
I have a project that has a room called out for Oil Storage. I know it has to be a classified area for electrical - because it is affecting the Mechanical Plumbing for draining.

I've tried looking in the code book to figure out what best describes this area, if anything, and what the things I need to tell/show on the drawings.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Oil storage would not necessarily require classification of the area as hazardous.

It may well be that the plumbing is affected because they have to be able to deal with spills without allowing the oil to get into the sewer system.

Last edited:

muskiedog

you probably mean it needs a containment area for an oil spill. Such as a service garage has a oil water seprator or pit.

Oil storage is not classified area normally unless flammable products will be stored and dispensed also.

starbright28

As far as I know they are storing the oil barrels in this room. This room in located on the mezzanine level.

I beleive exactly the way if affects the plumbing is because of the drain issue.

Thanks for the answers.

kc8dxx

Think OSHA, not NEC. You are likely required to have an oil spill containment method, around the storage location, in the event one of the oil barrels develops a leak. Also need adequate oil cleanup supplies on-hand at the storage site. Also need periodic review of barrels to ensure no leaks, procedures on storage & useage, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.