Old AC with thin aluminum bond wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
Replacing two Fed Pac 240v 100 amp sub panels at a church.

They are both feed with the old AC with the thin aluminum bond wire in it.

Code wise, can the old AC still be used to feed the replacement panels? We are on the 2014 edition here in PA.

Does 250.118(5) a-d pertain to this situation?

Dj

kwired

Electron manager
The metal sheath is the EGC, the bond wire is just a supplement to improve the resistance of the path created by the spiral nature of how the sheath is constructed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes it's still code compliant to use it. Might not be as good as a copper EGC but it can still be used.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The metal sheath is the EGC, the bond wire is just a supplement to improve the resistance of the path created by the spiral nature of how the sheath is constructed.

I agree but let's be clear. I know kwired knows this... The ac cable or metal sheath that is without that aluminum wire in it is not compliant as an equipment grounding conductor. So the cable itself is not a compliant equipment grounding conductor without the small aluminum strip.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree but let's be clear. I know kwired knows this... The ac cable or metal sheath that is without that aluminum wire in it is not compliant as an equipment grounding conductor. So the cable itself is not a compliant equipment grounding conductor without the small aluminum strip.
:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.