old exit sign system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone has an old exit sign system that has a central command module that, I assume, has batteries and maybe an inverter in it. The bulbs are ELPL079, 15W 145V. Anyone know how this works? What is with the 145V bulbs? We would like to replace the old ones with standard LED units with integral backup. What wiring method was typical between the units and the central command? I can certainly go and open stuff up and figure it out, but thought I would ask here first to save me some hassle.

anthonysolino

Someone has an old exit sign system that has a central command module that, I assume, has batteries and maybe an inverter in it. The bulbs are ELPL079, 15W 145V. Anyone know how this works? What is with the 145V bulbs? We would like to replace the old ones with standard LED units with integral backup. What wiring method was typical between the units and the central command? I can certainly go and open stuff up and figure it out, but thought I would ask here first to save me some hassle.
I found one of these a Long time ago, they wanted to know why the lights weren't working, the battery in the central unit swelled up like a balloon and leaked every where, they were wet cell batteries. they brought line voltage in to it to keep the unit going, then they ran THHN to it a red and black like a 18 gauge I beleive and the lamps were just positive negative back to the battery. it was a whole DC circuit.

I found one of these a Long time ago, they wanted to know why the lights weren't working, the battery in the central unit swelled up like a balloon and leaked every where, they were wet cell batteries. they brought line voltage in to it to keep the unit going, then they ran THHN to it a red and black like a 18 gauge I beleive and the lamps were just positive negative back to the battery. it was a whole DC circuit.
this one the signs still illuminate under normal conditions, but I think the battery is dead.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I always assumed the 145V lamps were for longer life.
Same here, though I more often saw 130v bulbs.

Years ago, I wired a night club, and the customer complained the exit in a dark corner was way too bright. I cheated and re-wired the two sockets in series, which ended up with a brightness that was just right.

Same here, though I more often saw 130v bulbs.

Years ago, I wired a night club, and the customer complained the exit in a dark corner was way too bright. I cheated and re-wired the two sockets in series, which ended up with a brightness that was just right.

so that was a common thing where exit sign bulbs were always labeled 130 or 145 V?

Nice trick on the dimming. The pot growers I worked for just taped them over :sick::cool:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
so that was a common thing where exit sign bulbs were always labeled 130 or 145 V?
Yes, as well as regular bulbs in many commercial installations, which reduces bulb changing. I've bought them many times.

Nice trick on the dimming. The pot growers I worked for just taped them over :sick::cool:
Thanx. I actually pulled one white and one black out of the canopy and shortened them before wire-nutting, so there would be only one white and one black to connect.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The higher the lamp rated voltage the longer its life. Traffic signal lamps are rated 130 volts, and last 8,000 hours. They got changed yearly and had many hours left. I still have a few somewhere.

broadgage

I suspect that the lamps are run at 120 volts AC from utility power normally, and at 120 volts DC from the battery during an outage.
The 145 volt lamps are probably simply to extend lamp life. Use of 145 volt lamps may be unwise in this situation, lit exit signs are an important safety feature, and to greatly reduce the light output to save a few $ on lamps might violate the listing which almost certainly specifies what lamps should be fitted.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I suspect that the lamps are run at 120 volts AC from utility power normally, and at 120 volts DC from the battery during an outage.
The 145 volt lamps are probably simply to extend lamp life. Use of 145 volt lamps may be unwise in this situation, lit exit signs are an important safety feature, and to greatly reduce the light output to save a few $ on lamps might violate the listing which almost certainly specifies what lamps should be fitted.
I don't think so, unless this is complete central distribution with an inverter. Typically, there is a second set of bulbs running at the battery voltage in case of a power outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.