Old Generac ATS

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I was swamped last week, 12 site visits in 2 days, missed the main breaker on the panel in my Code violation thread, big remodel going on and a few service calls, and trying to bid a bigger (for me) PW job. šŸ˜²šŸ™„šŸ˜‚

When I was at this site, I didnā€™t have time to pull it all apart, I was there for a Kohler that the installer never hooked a battery charge circuit to. šŸ™„

He called me this morning and said they lost power last night, and when utility was restored, the coils in the master ATS were ā€œbangingā€œ, and possibly switching back and forth.

Oh, and he said they added a T1 wire to this genny about a month ago. A ā€œfather in lawā€ or someone.

Sounds like a complete disaster down there, I told him Iā€™ll try to get down there next week and just start pulling stuff apart and testing, and try to see what he has going on.

I do know that there is N1and N2 wires connectors in every ATS, which is not needed, nor is it ideal.

Im thinking that you are right about those relays wired in series. He said itā€™s worked for 20 years, and now doesnā€™t, but itā€™s hard to pinpoint just what has been messed with by his hodgepodge of ā€œelectriciansā€ heā€™s had down there.
I always hated it when other people ā€œtryā€ to fix it, and usually makes it worse! LOL! Iā€™ve had many a parking lot where they just start changing around the wiring in the poles, and making it worse. Then I just have to break everything apart, and start from scratch.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goinā€™ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I warned him I may just have to give him a quote to replace and re-wire everything, but Iā€™ll spend an hour or two seeing if I canā€™t fix whatā€™s there.