Old Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electriman

Greetings,

I faced a project which is an older warehouse, 20 years old, and I was told to review and approve the electrical wiring diagram. I know that NEC does not require the older building to be based on the newer code, but I was wondering what requirements of NEC can be ignored since this is an older warehouse.

mgookin

Generally speaking, the existing construction is vested to the code in effect on the day the permit application was applied for to build it.

Any new work must meet the code in effect on the day you apply for the permit for the new work.

If you do >50% improvement or change the occupancy classification the local jurisdiction may require everything to be brought up to code. You'll have to ask them about that.

david

Greetings,

I faced a project which is an older warehouse, 20 years old, and I was told to review and approve the electrical wiring diagram. I know that NEC does not require the older building to be based on the newer code, but I was wondering what requirements of NEC can be ignored since this is an older warehouse.

Electrical installation compliant with the NEC. at the time of installation would normally be allowed without meeting current changes to the NEC.

I do not believe that would imply a new drawing (work) would not be expected to meet the current code changes.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I faced a project which is an older warehouse, 20 years old, . . . I was wondering what requirements of NEC can be ignored since this is an older warehouse.
That's a very general question, that invites the general answer, "The NEC requirements that can be ignored are those that didn't exist in the NEC in effect for the jurisdiction, that the warehouse is in, at the time of original wiring." The property records will contain the date(s) that apply to the electrical permit, and the local jurisdiction history will have the record of the NEC in effect at that date.

Without an actual edition of the NEC to consider, along with specifics about the warehouse Premises Wiring (System), the question you ask is nebulous.

Status
Not open for further replies.