Old Touch-Plate System Horror

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjsil

Recently ran across a posting in alt.home.repair that might be of interest to someone reading this forum.
Apparently the poster inherited a building with a disastrous Touch-Plate lighting control installation.
The pictures are worth a look...if you like horror films ;)

P7310026x.jpg

Touch-plate Systems

Touch-plate Systems

Nice Picture. Have Been Dealing With These Since 1980 In The San Fernando Valley. My Second Employer Installed A Lot Of These Systems Back In The Day.
Have Serviced Quite A Number Of Them Over The Years And, Believe It Or Not, I Have Actually Seen Two Or Three Of The Cans With Covers On. Hard To Find Pristine Touch-plate Systems That Have Survived 40 Or 50 Years.
Most Of Them Look At Least As Bad As The One In The Picture. I Just Looked At One Saturday That Looked Like A Christmas Tree, If You Think Of All The Relays As Ornaments! 20 Or More Hanging By The Wires And Originals Still In Place In The Box. Will Take A Picture Before I Make It All Pretty Again.

Hey, If It Was Easy, A Plumber Could Do It!

Michael
Michael T Roberts Electric
Van Nuys, Ca​
[/CENTER]

mdshunk

I hardly ever run across those systems anymore. Most have been abandoned. I still keep an RR7 relay on the truck for the odd service call. I have only seen two "touch plate" installs. Most I've serviced use the momentary switches.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I ran into one of them a few years ago. I told the owner to get someone else to fix it.

sandsnow

I have a couple of these laying around. My dad installed these systems. I'm not even that old. Touchplate called itself the "Path of Light". The book was written when electricians were paid $4.00/hour.

touchplatebook1.jpg

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
sandsnow said:
I have a couple of these laying around. My dad installed these systems. I'm not even that old. Touchplate called itself the "Path of Light". The book was written when electricians were paid $4.00/hour.

Funny, that's exactly my hourly rate I got when I first got my license. And, I thought it was pretty good pay.

Oakey

infinity said:
I ran into one of them a few years ago. I told the owner to get someone else to fix it.
Same here. The one I looked at was in the attic and looked like the pic above....Horrible but this is an old thread

Status
Not open for further replies.