Old UK motor nameplate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

Hi all, I'm posting this here to help out a guy on another forum and to satisfy my own curiosity. The nameplate is from what appears to be an old DC motor made by a defunct company from Scotland. His question is about the dual RPM rating stamped on the plate. Are these max and min speeds, or do they indicate a two speed motor? Any insight will be appreciated!

Hi all, I'm posting this here to help out a guy on another forum and to satisfy my own curiosity. The nameplate is from what appears to be an old DC motor made by a defunct company from Scotland. His question is about the dual RPM rating stamped on the plate. Are these max and min speeds, or do they indicate a two speed motor? Any insight will be appreciated!

I read it as a single choice voltage (200v) and a two speed motor, what does the wire schematic inside the nameplate show ?
Or is there one ?

PetrosA

I read the zone.ni page before I posted here. What doesn't make sense is that where they talk of controlling RPM, they refer to a 10-20% change in speed, nothing like the 750/2250 change which is more than 300%. AFAIK, there is no schematic available, but I'll ask.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
DC Motor - Shunt-field control: Reel drives require this kind of control. The dc motor's material is wound on a reel at constant linear speed and constant strip tension, regardless of diameter.

Control is obtained by weakening the shunt-field current of the dc motor to increase speed and to reduce output torque for a given armature current. Since the rating of a dc motor is determined by heating, the maximum permissible armature current is approximately constant over the speed range. This means that at rated current, the dc motor's output torque varies inversely with speed, and the dc motor has constant-horsepower capability over its speed range.

Dc motors offer a solution, which is good for only obtaining speeds greater than the base speed. A momentary speed reduction below the dc motor's base speed can be obtained by overexciting the field, but prolonged overexcitation overheats the dc motor. Also, magnetic saturation in the dc motor permits only a small reduction in speed for a substantial increase in field voltage.

Dc motors have a maximum standard speed range by field control is 3:1, and this occurs only at low base speeds. Special dc motors have greater speed ranges, but if the dc motor's speed range is much greater than 3:1, some other control method is used for at least part of the range.

Armature-voltage DC Motor Control: In this method, shunt-field current is maintained constant from a separate source while the voltage applied to the armature is varied. Dc motors feature a speed, which is proportional to the counter emf. This is equal to the applied voltage minus the armature circuit IR drop. At rated current, the torque remains constant regardless of the dc motor speed (since the magnetic flux is constant) and, therefore, the dc motor has constant torque capability over its speed range.

750/2250 = 3:1

the above quote was from the site below
http://www.electricmotors.machinedesign.com/guiEdits/Content/bdeee3/bdeee3_1-1.aspx

Besoeker

No excitation voltage is given on the nameplate. This might indicate that the speed range given was intended to be by shunt field (excitation) control.
There is a company by the same name in Glasgow:
MACFARLANE ENGINEERING COMPANY LIMITED (THE)
151 ST VINCENT STREET, GLASGOW, G2 5NJ

PetrosA

Thanks for the info. The description in the machinedesign link seems to match up pretty well with what's on the nameplate.

Besoeker, google maps has a street view of that address (nice high quality, too...) that shows some interesting old buildings to let. I suspect there is no production in that part of town anymore judging by all the law offices there now.

dbuckley

Scarily, their order records covering 1907 'till 1962 still exist, so someone in Glasgow could pop along to the Glasgow City Archives :)

I'm also of the opinion that the RPM quoted is the range (or more likely, a limit), it being a shunt connected DC motor. I suspect it just would have had a variable resistance regulator things, probably with an open knife switch for good measure...

Status
Not open for further replies.