old wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasparky27

upgrading a panel in Va... some existing outlets are ungrounded three prong some are two prong. Home inspector and electrical inspector coming next week what options does the homeowner have as far as not having to rewire the house and do any ungrounded outletes need too be 2 prong only or identified some way?

vasparky27

Re: old wiring question

WAS SOMEWHAT CONCERNED UPON READING THIS AT ANOTHER SITE.
Required old wiring/ upgrade 6/15/2003
I recently installed a new 200 AMP service in a house (240/120v-200A) because the customer wanted to get rid of the fuse box. The inspector failed it stating that I was responsible for interior wiring in that I must replace all kitchen, bath, basement and outside receptacles with GFCI's. He said I must also install new smoke detectors and bond all piping. I've never had to go to these extremes in the past and when I asked the inspection department for documentation on these requirements/amendments they couldn't provide them. I didn't upgrade the service power, I merely replaced it. What's your opinion on these whimsical rules?
P. Miles

vasparky27

406.3(D)(3)(b) and 406.3(D)(3)(c) allow the installation of grounding outlets where no grounding means exists

Thank you will check some more but knowing where too look was a big help

dillon3c

vasparky,

umm bro,I can't tell you right off hand.I'm in NC,what part of VA are you in brother? Might help to post location, someone might be in-the- know about your area & the AHJ..

vasparky27

This has been a great and very helpful site over the years and has taught me alot and in some cases changed the way that work

thank you Mike holt and all the others who post here for helping me to stay in the trade even when others discouraged me as not worthy LOL

Stiul wiring and got alotta questions

Wheres spell chek on this durn thing?

vasparky27

already found some great splices so far found the original range wire # 6 al cloth covered tied to two 14-2s and one 12-2 with electrical tape WOW!

yes it has since been fixed

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

You only need one feed-thru GFCI receptacle per circuit, and you can use grounding receptacles, but do not interconnect the EGC terminals. Each such protected receptacle should have the "no ground: sticker applied.

milwaukeesteve

I have installed several GFCI outlets, located at the old existing fuse panel location (may not be where panel is) or at the panel, in this type of case and routed all applicable circuits through these GFCI's (one per circuit).
This protects the whole circuit. The hard part is sometimes in old Knob and Tube wiring, the neutrals are shared.
Just remember to label all needed outlets in the house per 406.3
I prefer this method to GFCI Breakers, less expensive.

mc5w

vasparky27,

You actually had an instance of a 200 amp fuse box? I saw 1 instance of a fuse box that had 4 service switches in the form of pullout blocks for a total rating of I think 180 amps maximum. I also 1 time saw a gas station that had one of SquareD's panels that used a 200 amp class T pullout block.

hurk27

Mc5w I think he was quoting from another web site that was posted by someone else.

Yes there were 200 amp fuse box's. Wadsworth made several models and so did many others. Most of the later ones had a 200 amp main breaker, with Edison base fuses for the branch circuits. and I have seen some with as many as 30 circuits. But the older ones had a 200 amp pullout.

[ May 03, 2005, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

There are also non-main 200-amp fuse panels that have not more than six pull-outs, like a split-bus panel, where one protects the plug fuses, and the rest protect 240-volt circuits.

It is my understanding that, when doing a service change, you are not responsible for the rest of the electrical system, unless 50% or more of the house is being renovated.

bradleyelectric

A friend of mines house has a 200 amp culter hammer CH panel with a 200 amp fuse pull out. I believe it is a 40 space too.

[ May 03, 2005, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: bradleyelectric ]

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Yes, grounding and bonding for the service; i.e., waterpipe and driven grounds, but not branch circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.