"Old work" MC fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen this either here or ET a while ago, but I can't find it anymore:

Where do I get those MC fittings that you can attach INSIDE the junction box, without having access to the outside surface?
I have a job where a few two-gang boxes are grouted in really well, and I need to fish MC into them.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Arlington makes one:

40RAST.jpg

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/flex-ac-mc/retrofit-snap-2-it-mc-cable-connectors/

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you end up using these let us know what you think. I've never used one and I'm wondering how easy they are to install.

John120/240

If you end up using these let us know what you think. I've never used one and I'm wondering how easy they are to install.

They work slick for new work & come in a two barrel one also. For old work, install connector on MC cable & fish down wall. I wonder if you can get the connector to seat in the KO by only pulling on your conductors ? I would not try this if the box is only secured by F straps, Madison clips.

After additional thought, fish MC cable thru KO then install connector & push the connector into KO from inside box.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They work slick for new work & come in a two barrel one also. For old work, install connector on MC cable & fish down wall. I wonder if you can get the connector to seat in the KO by only pulling on your conductors ? I would not try this if the box is only secured by F straps, Madison clips.

The connector in the photo goes in from the inside of the box eliminating the need to make a large hole and try to fish the cable and connector down the wall. :cool:

GrayHair

Don't think I saw these while still working, but from the picture it appears some clearance is needed on the exterior surface at the knock-out for the spring-tabs to engage. I mention this only because OP said "... two-gang boxes are grouted in really well ...".

Even if time has to be spent creating exterior clearance, this fitting may still be the best route.

sparkyrick

I've used them to add some new MC cables to a flush mount panel. SUPER easy. Just pull the MC cable into the panel through a 1/2" knockout, strip the end off, install the connector and push back up into the knockout.

Status
Not open for further replies.