Older dryer wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

I was advising a friend over the phone(he's doing his own little remodel) on running power for his dryer. I told him to run 3wire+ground from the panel because he had the option and I thought he was getting a new unit. Turns out he's keeping the older unit with only has 3 prong plug.

Question is what is the most proper way to address this issue? Should he rewire the old unit and put on a 4 prong plug? Or leave out a wire and stick with a 3 prong?

thanks

kwired

Electron manager
New circuit must follow the new (though about 25 years old now) rules, even in an old house.

You are allowed to put a 3 wire cord on a new appliance if going to use it on an existing 3 wire outlet, and are allowed to leave an existing 3 wire outlet as is when making changes, with some conditions.

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
Two things to kwired's input. One condition is that the 3-wire branch circuit must originate in the main service panel. In my opinion, it's better to have the 4-wire circuit if it is feasible to re-wire as such even if the 3-wire is allowed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I understood he was running a new wire. If that is the case then IMO, there is only one viable option--- why run the 4 wire cable and use a 3 wire receptacle and cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.