Older panel, half grounded, half not

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcride2003

Hi, I have an older home, its been remodeled at one point and the newer build outs have a ground. I am replacing the dishwasher and just noticed I only have 2 wire, (White and Black) I could easily run a new wire to the panel which is right behind the wall but not an electrician by any means and I know I shouldn't be messing with the panel anyways.

Anyways if I turn the breaker off to the entire house at the outside panel, this would shut down all electrical to the panel and make it safe. If I did wire a new wire, is it really that difficult if I follow how another wire is wired into the panel? Can I ground the dishwasher another way using the 2 wire that I have now to get me by until we upgrade the panel?

here is my panel. yes its a mess and thats why I am posting and after looking at the panel again, I don't even see a ground bus bar, so maybe the way everything is hooked up now is not the correct way... I know there are ways to do it, but is it safe!!

I know most of you would say hire an electrician but I won't be doing that at least right now. I have many years of experience in construction and electrical but just not at the panel.

Please advise!!

1) Should I wire in a grounded wire into the panel the way some of the existing are already wired
2) Should I just hook up the dishwasher with no ground, but find another way to ground it - Please tell me how)
3) Hire an electrician, replace the panel -Probably the most expensive option but I know some electricians

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AN2CtHVs7Po72H0&v=3&ithint=photo,JPG
redir

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended to assist electricians, electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical profession. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation or maintenance work.

Status
Not open for further replies.