One building two electrical rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have one building one story and two electrical rooms. Electrical room A is next to my two tenant spaces G, H and main electrical room B is opposite corner of building to my tenant spaces. Electric service comes in Electric room B.

I have main switchboard in Electrical room B that has 200A service disco which feeds trough and two tenant disconnects G, H. All in electrical room B. I have two feeders from two disconnect G,H from electrical room B which then feed the two tenant spaces.

Question under emergency situations people would go into electrical room A not main electrical room B since this is closest to tenant space. When they do the two tenants disconnects are in main electrical room B.

Does NEC make the two tenants G, H disconnects to be in electrical room A rather than in electrical room B?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Short answer: no. Slightly longer answer: the disconnect is not installed for the purposes of turning off power in an emergency. They are for maintenance. So it doesn't matter where they are.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
.......also short answer.. that's why you label your disconnects and your service disconnects.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The two tenant disconnects G, H Electrical room B feed Panelboard G, H respectively.

Panel boards G, H have main breaker. Does code require panelboard main breaker to be locked with disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.