one half service panel off

Status
Not open for further replies.

avtechdude

I have read some posts here about this issue but I thought I would go at it one more time. the client calls and says "there are breaker problems". I show up and look at the service panel (that i installed several months prior with no issues or concerns) and i see the entire right side breaker bank is not tripped but in the "off" position. I say this cant be. Even some electrical anomaly cant cause each breaker, both 1 and 2 pole to move to the OFF position on one side of a load center. someone has to be turning them off. Even finding the entire side in the "trip" position can't be right as the power bus down each side is every other leg per lug. Just a simple voltage check each leg indicates all is well and the same from the meter/main shut off to the panel. My guess is the ex-husband is showing up while she is out. Am I missing anything?

thanks

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
When the panel cover is replaced, and the person doing it doesn't have a good support and grip on the cover, it is conceivable, though unlikely, that the cover might slip and shut the handles off for the breakers along one whole side of a panel.

The person would have to be pretty rushed, or otherwise distracted, to not notice doing this.

JFletcher

I have read some posts here about this issue but I thought I would go at it one more time. the client calls and says "there are breaker problems". I show up and look at the service panel (that i installed several months prior with no issues or concerns) and i see the entire right side breaker bank is not tripped but in the "off" position. I say this cant be. Even some electrical anomaly cant cause each breaker, both 1 and 2 pole to move to the OFF position on one side of a load center. someone has to be turning them off. Even finding the entire side in the "trip" position can't be right as the power bus down each side is every other leg per lug. Just a simple voltage check each leg indicates all is well and the same from the meter/main shut off to the panel. My guess is the ex-husband is showing up while she is out. Am I missing anything?

thanks

Maybe someone else removed the deadfront and tripped them... maybe the HO. A lot are embarassed if they know they've caused a problem, they wont tell you.

Ex-husband would just cut off the hot water or take a pair of dykes to the line feeding it. Shutting off an entire side of breakers seems, just, too stupid/not vindictive enough.

Does she have kids? Maybe one of them tripped a breaker, and instead of resetting it, put all breakers pointing right, which would shut off all right-hand breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.