one inch ground rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Sires

what is the safest way to install a one inch ground rod. are there any tools that you recomend for this job?
i have looked all over the web and cant find anything bigger than 7/8". Ground level is prefered for this task.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A sledge hammer or a hammer drill with the ground rod driver bit. Are you an electrician or is this for your home?

The Fuzz

I think what James P. Sires was looking for was a tool that would allow you to install a ground rod while standing on the ground. The installation is in a substation and with high voltage overhead line, the lower to the ground the better. Hilti makes an attachment (TE-905) but it will not accept a 1" inch gound rod. Were looking for something similar that will take that size rod.

Thanks
:cool:

kwired

Electron manager
Have well driller install it:)

I have the rotary hammer ground rod bit - not sure if a 1 inch rod will fit in it.

Why a 1 inch rod?

renosteinke

1" ground rod? How about a Bobcat with the jackhammer / pavement breaker attachment?

I think that Hilti attachment uses a 5C collet .... in which case, you simply replace the collet. I'll look into it.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
We use an attachment for a jackhammer. We have put the hammer on the rod with the handle taped down, then once in position, turn on the compressor. as deep as our driver is, it won't jump off as you might expect.

kwired

Electron manager
Grounding for a substation. Its what the engineer wanted...:happyyes:

Many POCO's have hydraulic drivers that operate off the hydraulics on their boom trucks.

If you are doing substation work you may very well have the boom trucks just need the driver.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Many POCO's have hydraulic drivers that operate off the hydraulics on their boom trucks.

If you are doing substation work you may very well have the boom trucks just need the driver.

Yea, they aren't very good for 3/4X10' or 1" rods

Status
Not open for further replies.