One Man vs Estimating

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

wewirepgh said:
Count all the outlets, switches and lightaing outlets. Take that number x a price $70-$90 ...
:confused:
A receptacle at 18" AFF costs the same as a lighting outlet at 144" AFF ...or a pair of sconces center at 68" AFF around a bath mirror(x2 for quantity of course)?

I don't think so.

BTW..how do you arrive at that "$70 - $90" figure?
That's a $20 spread per item which can add significant costs with 100 or 200 openings to account for.

wewirepgh said:
don't add for gfi's 4ways and etc. ....
More confusion here.
Typically, the GFI's will be #12, while the recept.s and lighting will be at #14.
3-way and 4-way switching can also add significant costs to an estimate...omitting them adds to the recipie for failing to turn a profit and/or even cover the cost to do the project.
Then what?
Beg the HO/GC for more money to make up for your incompetance?
Good luck with that as you have already burnt that bridge...

wewirepgh said:
Don't confuse the customer bs them
Don't get me wrong here wewirepgh, I'm not telling you how to estimate and run your business - I am suggesting to others to not follow your advice.

celtic

Minuteman said:
No problem, I was speaking off the cuff. I don't know the labor costs either.

We both knew that :smile:
Now everyone does ~ thanks for clarification :cool:

celtic

jmsbrush said:
Turbo Bid has a wonderful product, Mike Holt recommends it as well. I have it and I love it. It's set up for remodel work too.

I have it as well ~ I just haven't had an opportunity to use it and compare against my spreadsheet.

cadpoint said:
That?s OK, what ever works for you'll, I was so hypnotized, I tried to scroll down on Celtic's spreadsheet ... :rolleyes:

LMAO :grin:

wewirepgh

Hey just an average in my pricing.

Hey just an average in my pricing.

celtic said:
A receptacle at 18" AFF costs the same as a lighting outlet at 144" AFF ...or a pair of sconces center at 68" AFF around a bath mirror(x2 for quantity of course)?

I don't think so.

That's a $20 spread per item which can add significant costs with 100 or 200 openings to account for.

More confusion here.
Typically, the GFI's will be #12, while the recept.s and lighting will be at #14.
3-way and 4-way switching can also add significant costs to an estimate...omitting them adds to the recipie for failing to turn a profit and/or even cover the cost to do the project.
Then what?
Beg the HO/GC for more money to make up for your incompetance?
Good luck with that as you have already burnt that bridge...

Don't get me wrong here wewirepgh, I'm not telling you how to estimate and run your business - I am suggesting to others to not follow your advice.

My receptacles are 12" off AFF

jmsbrush

celtic said:
I have it as well ~ I just haven't had an opportunity to use it and compare against my spreadsheet.

LMAO :grin:
Celtic, when you get the time I think you will really like it, It has so much on there, You will really know to the exact count of everything you will possibly ever need in residential, condos and apartments. I never did one house until I became an EC. The program allowed me to make accurate bids, I had no way of estimating a house and things of that nature.
I just started to use Accubid bidwinner, To me, I feel like its very complex program and will take some time to learn.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Sparky555 said:
As far as fishing/remodeling into an old house 3 hrs/opening is a rough start. Closer to 1 hr/opening if the walls are opened up. On a major remodel sometimes it saves money to open it up.

Agreements: NM wont fish thru ceramic tubes. Walls must be opened or drilled from attic.

ohm

ramsy said:
Agreements: NM wont fish thru ceramic tubes. Walls must be opened or drilled from attic.

True, and how many times has an ec drilled the cavities or crawled around a 60 year old house to determine if there are firestops to determine how far away from new construction "standard" the remodel actually is.

I've seen two good men work three hours in an old church rewire to fish a 2" x 2" wall. T & M seems like the only fair way to go on remodels. If the HO questions the time something is taking I welcome them to spend a little time with me to find out why.

aline

ohm said:
Sounds like the most accurate way to do it! You may have developed a good saleable program.

How long does it take to do a typical house?:smile: :smile:
I haven't developed a program.
I have Turbobid and older version of Vision estimating software.
I just created the categories and assemblies in the estimating software.

Good estimating software will allow you to copy the existing assemblies modify them and save them as a new assembly making it fast and easy to create new assemblies.

What's a typical house?
Do you mean how long to wire it or how long to estimate it?

ohm

aline said:
I haven't developed a program.
I have Turbobid and older version of Vision estimating software.
I just created the categories and assemblies in the estimating software.

Good estimating software will allow you to copy the existing assemblies modify them and save them as a new assembly making it fast and easy to create new assemblies.

What's a typical house?
Do you mean how long to wire it or how long to estimate it?

Time to do the estimate.

PS: I consider the categories and charges per task the software. If they could be plunked into an existing speadsheet that's even better!

Good Luck!:D

ohm

wewirepgh said:
It's break even saving 6" fishing from basement and losing 6' fishing form attic.

Sometimes fishing up from the basement rather than down from the attic, on an outside wall, where you can't get a drill in-place is a god's send.:smile:

celtic

wewirepgh said:
It's break even saving 6" fishing from basement and losing 6' fishing form attic.

So what was the point in noting your preference for 12" AFF?

Let's revisit the more important points and see if we can get any usefull information from you...

celtic said:

Then what?

wewirepgh

ohm said:
Sometimes fishing up from the basement rather than down from the attic, on an outside wall, where you can't get a drill in-place is a god's send.:smile:

Sometimes the foundation sticks out to far on the outside walls in the basement.:grin:

wewirepgh

ohm said:
Not to mention the brown recluse on the ledge:roll:

Yes there is an area in pgh which is called South Side where the steel mills used to be and every house has this stuff we call southside soot in the basement and attic.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.