one room no power

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike4326

Ran into another mystery, customer with one bedroom that suddenly lost all power. attached bathroom has power, did check breaker and GFCI in bathroom, checked out ok. 4 outlets and ceiling light are out. checked for any type of voltage at the outlets and 0 voltage. Any help?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Most likely a bad back stab connection on the first outlet in the run. Also can check continuity between neutral and ground in case for some strange reason they have it feed from a ground fault receptacle and it’s tripped. (Receptacle would open neutral and hot)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In no particular order:

Plug a 3-wire extension cord into a known-working receptacle, and use the female end as references to find out which wire is no longer at the voltage it should be. If both hot and neutral are missing (floating), look for an open GFCI/AFCI.

Use a solenoid voltage tester or a test lamp, not a volt-meter.

Plug a known-working lamp into a dead receptacle and wiggle the others, both dead and nearbyt working. Don't forget opposite side of shared walls.. Watch the lamp for flickers; use a helper or use a cord to keep the lamp in your direct view.

Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. It used to work, and something has changed. You need to find out what, and restore it.

mike4326

I did notice when I had one of the outlets opened, that the outlet had no ground wire running to it. home owner believes home was built in the late 1950's

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Still, the black should test as hot to a reference neutral or ground, and the white should test as grounded to a reference hot.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience

Status
Not open for further replies.