One service 2 meters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am building a service for a small building 2 offices 20 x 20 each.
Planning to install 3/0 service conductors in service raceway down to small gutter, then tap #3 conductors to feed 2 meter bases, then feed 2 exterior mounted 100 amp panels. One panel (a) right next to the meter base the other panel (b) about 10' away fed with emt. I am grounding panel (a) to cold water ground and also to ground rod, as well as bonding neutral to panel.
On panel (b) I am grounding to cold water ground, and running #4 thhn GEC to panel (a) ground. Also installing a ground rod at panel (b). Panel (b) will have neutral and ground isolated. Am I correct in this installation or am I missing something. This is confusing as I mainly work with residential installations. Thank you for your help.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd say simply ground each panel as if the other did not exist, except for sharing electrodes, and you need not use isolated neutral in either panel if there is no disco ahead of it.

I believe the only difference between this work and residential is that you cannot size conductors as per 310.15(B)(6).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The two service disconnects need to be grouped together. 10' apart may not cut it. I would run the #4 GEC to one panel and tap a #6 to the other panel from the GEC. Each panel must have it's neutral bonded to the panel ban.

one service 2 meters

one service 2 meters

I was not planning on using discos, both panels would be mounted outside with main c/b's. If I mount the panels inside would discos be required outside at the meters.

Thanks for your responses:D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
hotblueelectric said:
I was not planning on using discos, both panels would be mounted outside with main c/b's. If I mount the panels inside would discos be required outside at the meters.

Thanks for your responses:D

Yes, but I was referring to the service disconnect (main CB) within each panel. Sorry for the confusion. Service disconnects are required to be grouped together even if you're using the main CB in the panel as the service disconnect.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You are not required to install an outside disconnect. You can install the panels inside "nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors" and be in compliance with the code.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.