one well for duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

donselectric

went to a duplex that had one well for both units, they had a potter brumfield relay in the panel.
i wouldn't think power from the other unit is there as that would be a violation. can someone explain how it works and the normal way of doing it as i've never done one... ::?

thanks

jusme123

Occupation
JW
what makes you think you would need power from the other half of the duplex house to make a well pump work? They probable have the entire setup on one side of the duplex.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It simply sounds like one unit is paying for the water. Hopefully they will pay their electric bills and there won't be issues. Had a friend who shared a well with his neighbor an acre or so away. They moved didn't pay their bill and the electric got turned off. We had to run a temp wire 300 feet so he could have water. He finally had a well drilled on his property.

Hendrix

It simply sounds like one unit is paying for the water. Hopefully they will pay their electric bills and there won't be issues. Had a friend who shared a well with his neighbor an acre or so away. They moved didn't pay their bill and the electric got turned off. We had to run a temp wire 300 feet so he could have water. He finally had a well drilled on his property.
I have seen two pumps in one well for duplexes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have seen two pumps in one well for duplexes.
I have not seen that but I haven't worked on duplexes where a well was involved. In my friends case the well was on the adjacent property so it made sense to finally dig his own well.

I would think 2 pumps in one well would have a good chance of getting tangle and bang up from the torque.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
went to a duplex that had one well for both units, they had a potter brumfield relay in the panel.
i wouldn't think power from the other unit is there as that would be a violation. can someone explain how it works and the normal way of doing it as i've never done one... ::?

thanks

Need more info., was the relay wired? If so how?

Hendrix

I would think 2 pumps in one well would have a good chance of getting tangle and bang up from the torque.

The wells around here are pretty deep. They rigged it so that touque was not a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

RICK NAPIER

I don't know when this was done but it sounds like it is a violation of 210.25. with the branch circuit in a dwelling unit supply a load associated with another dwelling.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't know when this was done but it sounds like it is a violation of 210.25. with the branch circuit in a dwelling unit supply a load associated with another dwelling.

I don't see that as a violation of 210.25. Each branch circuits supply loads associated with each building. It just so happens the loads are in a common area. Now I could see getting hit for 225.30.

RICK NAPIER

210.25(A) States that branch circuits in each dwelling unit shall supply loads only associated with that dwelling unit. Since the water supply is associated with both units and I was assuming that the branch circuit was coming from a panel in that dwelling unit I see this as a violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.